To cut electricity in an outbuilding

I did not want to use gas, LPG I had to buy by the bottle, was in a 16 foot caravan, designed as a touring caravan, so very little insulation, and I had a 10 amp supply which was ample, for all cooking and heating, and even my radio connected to an old Amiga computer so with packet radio I could talk around the world with packet radio.

OK had to be careful, but with an extra 6 amp, so 16 amp I have toured around the UK with no problems.

This includes using a Carver water heater and a shower from it, and central heating.

So I can say 16 amp supply is enough for 2 people, when using a gas oven and hob, and stored hot water for the shower.

But either a low wattage kettle, or a single cup kettle, although the one cup boiler is 2.5 kW it is on for such a short time, it did not trip the B16 overload.

So 16A = around 3.5 kW or 14 kWh per day, x 28 approx 400 kWh per month or £100 assuming always using full 16 amp, this is unlikely more like £50 per month.

However thoughtless use it is easy to exceed 16 amp, it would not power an instant shower, or a cooker with anything else but an induction hob some induction hobs can be configured to use no more than 13 amp.

So I suspect what is happening is the 16A MCB is tripping, and when the landlord sees it has tripped he resets it. And yes it trips because flat has used too much power.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back