Possible domestic supply fault, advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone advise on this situation, 1 week ago my mother said the 4 way extension cord she was using sparked & crackled when she unplugged the iron & tripped the upstairs breaker. I opened up the extension to find the neutral wire had pulled from its mount & come into contact with the live. I shortened the cord, rewired & replaced the fuse, it works but I will bin it as the red bulb is now blown.

Two days later a month old LCD TV began to smoke & the back light is gone, the Currys Tech Guy is coming tomorrow to look at it. Two days ago her Sky+ box died, 14 months old, coincidence I thought, they are unreliable! Yesterday an 8 month old mini hifi stopped working, I changed the fuse, plugged it in, BANG! FLASH! my right ear still hurts!

So my question is, could the extension cord cause this, the 3 dead items are on the downstairs breaker not the one the cord was on if that makes a difference? Or is there a need to get a man in to test electrics?

Sorry for the long post & thanks in advance!

Paul

Sponsored Links
You're probably just unlucky, but it's also possible that you've got an electrical fault. If you can, get hold of something that will tell you the current voltage (easy example is one of the Maplin power meter plugs, that will tell you the line voltage, and can also measure current in use through it etc). If it's higher than 253V, then you need to contact the supplier/DNO as that is in breach of the supply standards.

The other thing that might be worth getting, is a test plug, that will verify that your installation doesn't have e.g. polarity reversal or anything like that, and most will do a (very simple, so don't rely on it for definite) test of the earth. If this reveals anything, you need to get an electrician in ASAP to get it rectified...

Thanks I'll get one of those testers & meters. I assume its cheaper than a call out fee, & I can keep them in a cupboard for future use, unlike electricians. They tend to go off in cupboards!

Also are Belkin or any other brand surge protectors any use or are they just slightly more expensive extension cords?

Sponsored Links
I have my new LCD TV plugged into a surge protector plug. My old one died at 18 months old, I'm not risking it with the new one. I was considering a UPS for it, but cant justify the cost for a good one, since their main function is to backup in case of a power cut and we dont get many power cuts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back