Can someone shed some light on this issue for me please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was cleaning a room and saw a tiny little bang come from an extension cord. Now nothing thats connected to the mains will work, in that room or anything on the upstairs floor, but the mains are all fine downstairs.

The lights are still working, throughout the house. when i was trying different plugs at the mains that the extension cord was connected to, it sounds different, as if something has come loose in the mains.

a few days ago the same bang happened when i switched on the same room light, and all the lights in the house went out, but the electricity was at the mains was fine, my father come and fixed it, as it was just the fuse.

Could it possibly be another fuse problem?

Sponsored Links
Also the fact that the mains in that room, doesnt sound the same anymore

As in, when i used to plug something in, it just went straight in, now it sounds like something springy behind the white panel. I suspect that the mains will need replacing as well?

Sponsored Links
Well, I can't really say from here.
Could you manage without the sockets upstairs for the night.

Just out of interest - after you replaced the light fuse; was there a bulb which had blown?

i havent, the lights in the room are spotlights, so ive just been making do with the other four that are working. The light was on in the room when the current incident happened.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back