Can someone help me?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Our first floor lights won't come on after it tripped. We switched off all the lights and in spite if putting up the switch at the mains, the first floor lights won't come back although the plugs in the same floor are working fine. So we can use the table lamps,etc but ceiling lights are off. At the time the lights went off, at least a couple of lights in the bedrooms were on which have now had their bulbs taken out as a precaution.
Can anyone suggest something to help me out please?
Many thanks
megan

Sponsored Links
Post a pic of your fuse board.

It looks like this, with the first floor lights switch now back in position!

j9ttsl.jpg

2en93b7.jpg

[/img]

It would seem that the fault which caused the trip has burnt out a wire.
Presumably between the CU and first light on the circuit.

Just a possibility that the MCB is faulty.

Sponsored Links
I say that too.

switch the mcb off again and go check the wiring at maybe the top landing light or switch as it maybe looped in at the switch or call a sparky out.

With some MCBs (breakers) you have to push the lever right down to the bottom before it will reset properly when you push it up into the 'on' position. Have you tried that?

Kind Regards, John

you will need a sparky if you feel you can't take off the CU front cover and check the MCB out with a multimeter or the like, this would be the first check

If its not the MCB like others have said it looks like the live to the first light is burnt out/broken., ( i've seen this been caused by rats )

The continuity of this cable will have to be checked, if found faulty it will have to be replaced. The t&e cable should be clipped to a joist which would mean lifting carpet and floorboards to get at it

Hope this helps

That label on the consumer uni says that your installation was due for a test in February 2013. Maybe it is time to get that done! ;)

Do this first before calling anyone!!

With some MCBs (breakers) you have to push the lever right down to the bottom before it will reset properly when you push it up into the 'on' position. Have you tried that?

Kind Regards, John

Not that type of breaker in that model of CU. Square D and Dormann Smith older boards and the 'newer' MK RCDs operated as JW2 describes.

Regards,

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back