Downstairs lights not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope you can help

Our outside light blew last night which caused the "Ground floor lights/smokes" fuse to trip. Bulb has been replaced now and the trip switch and RCB reset but the downstairs lights won't come on now. I've checked the other bulbs on the circuit and they look ok. Bizarrely the downstairs toilet light and extractor still work.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

Jimmy

Sponsored Links
Our outside light blew last night which caused the "Ground floor lights/smokes" fuse to trip. Bulb has been replaced now and the trip switch and RCB reset but the downstairs lights won't come on now.
Did the RCD & MCB for the "downstairs lights" both trip? Have you pushed the MCB back to off and then on again? Sometimes they stick or don't quite open properly.

I've checked the other bulbs on the circuit and they look ok. Bizarrely the downstairs toilet light and extractor still work.
If the downstairs toilet light is definitely on the downstairs lighting circuit then it suggests that there is a loose connection/break in the live or neutral after this point.

Have you got a multimeter? First bet would be to isolate the circuit, then open all the fittings and check that none of the connections are loose. If not then with your multimeter (go and buy one if you don't have one), with the power back on, carefully check for 230vAC between L/N/E at all the fittings.

Post back with your findings! ;)

i think there will be a loose connection in the toilet light, not after it, and like bongos said there will be a loose live or neutral

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions bongos. I flicked the switches for the "Ground floor lights/smokes". the MCB and the RCD off and on again and bingo I have lights again. Didn't realise that they sometimes don't open properly.

Brilliant thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back