After blown bulb, other lights now doesn't work

I think I'm going to have to do this over the weekend, it's too dark by the time I get home.

But I've just been wondering, if the problem lies with the hall light, how is it possible that it still works? Although others further down isn't?

Sponsored Links
Have a look at wiring diagrams on how lighting circuits are laid out. Examples are in the WIKI.
If the fault is on the live or neutral wires that are the feed out of the hall light, then all lights after that one will not work.

Thanks, most of the links for the wiring diagrams does not seem to work.

What exactly will I be looking for when I open the light fitting in the lounge? Loose wires? Black or fused wires? If so, do I just clean them and "re cut" the ends? And then just use the multimetre to measure between live and neutral?

Sorry for all the questions. I have replaced many of my light fittings in many previous homes. But never had anything go wrong before.

Sponsored Links
with power off and proved to be dead, check tightness of all terminal screws ,making sure that all conductors are actually in their terminals. If all appears to be ok ,then you can go to testing on live circuitry .
As you do not appear to be too clued up on electrics you should ask yourself if you are competent to work on live circuits.

He’s used “something like wago connectors”.
I know TT. Make of that what you will. He did not say all terminals are made this way and the light fittings terminal block are nearly always screw down connector strips ,and may well be where the circuit neutrals are joined up.
Pictures would be helpful Badgerwold.

Maybe worth going back round and replacing the "Wago type" connectors with decend deep ceiling roses with built in connectors?.

I had a job to find a break in our earth loop on downstairs lighting circuit, a multimeter and decent lengths of wire came in handy to check continuity.

Your loop will more than likely bee in the roses.

As said post up some pictures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back