Bulbs blown now light not working!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have a three light ceiling fan combination ran by a dimmer switch. I've had this for 5+ years and never had a problem, if a bulb has blown I've simply replaced. Last night a bulb blew which popped the fuse in the cupboard, I pushed the button back in replaced the bulbs, though the light appears not not to be working as regardless of which bulbs I put in where, no light is produced.

What can I try to rectify this, without removing the light fitting which isn't really an option for me in my capabilities.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It is likely that the dimmer has been damaged. It may have a fuse on the back of the dimmer, or the whole dimmer switch may need replacing.

Does the fan run off the dimmer too?? Or is that switched seperately?

ok thanks I will check the fuse in the dimmer switch shortly. On a seperate although could be connected note, do all light swtiches have fuses? As the bulb in my hall light (just a normal one bulb light on rosette) a year or so ago and that has never worked since also?? Could that be the same thing.

The fan works from the same awitch although was not on at the time the bulbs blew.

Sponsored Links
Your dimmer MAY have a fuse. It might not.

No normal switches have fuses.

By the way, the presence of old "push Button" MCBs in your fuse box tells me you have an aged installation, and could do with an inspection, especially if bulbs blowing are taking out normal lightswitches. :confused:

Well it only happened in the hall, though I assumed that may of had something to do with a smoke alarm which was fitted to run of the same electric supply as the light. Its never happened in the living room or any of the other lights before. I actually fitted the dimmer myself and don't recall it having a fuse, though that could be wrong. I will check it as soon as I can get it off as it seems to be stuck pretty hard as Ive painted etc since then.

I appreciate your advice regarding the system as had not considered it needed an inspection or possible overhaul before, although unfortunately that really isnt an option at the minute with my finances being the way they are, neither is getting an electrician to check the light.

Anything I can do to fix it before it gets dark again this evening would be the priority right now. If I get the switch of and it isn't the fuse - whats next?

OK there is no fuse in the dimmer, so Im presuming i ned to get a new light switch - Is this correct?

Would this be the case for the hall light also?

How many cables are in the dimmer switch, is it just one? A twin and earth?

There are three, as Im a girl Im going to be really annoying and say there is a red one, a green one and a black one - sorry

Ok Sally if you have a choc block join the black & red together (temporary). If you haven't place them both in the same terminal of the dimmer instead

Pop the fuse back in and the light should work. this will prove that the switch is faulty and you'll need a new one. You may as well buy a little bit of earth sleeving yellow/green as the green sleeving is no longer used.

Be careful

ok, I dont know what a choc block is so will presume just putting them in the same whole will work.

There is no fuse in the switch, does this make a difference? What do I do with the earth if I get it?

place them in the same hole (with fuse OFF), The earth (green should be connected to the back box or did you mean the sleeving?

also check the rating of the dimmer switch as some have higher ratings than others.

What ratings are the lamps in your light?

right I got a bit scared about the two wires one hole thing, so just purchased a new switch, a standard one not a dimmer this time. Ive replaced the switch and the light still doesn't work :S

Any suggestions please?

No lamps working in any of the lampholders?

Does the fan have R/C?

Are there any on/off switches on the unit which may have been turned off inadvertently?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back