Bulb blown, fuse ok, light no longer working!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a kitchen light which is one fitting but has three spotlights. Last night one of the bulbs blew. It was a pretty big bang and when I took the bulb out the connector was black and broken. I don't think I could put another bulb into that spotlight now as it's a bit of a mess.

There doesn't seem to be any problem with any of the fuses and all the other lights on that circuit are working, however, when I replaced the other bulbs, which had also blown ( a while ago) they no longer work.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be the issue?
Thanks,
Tom

Sponsored Links
Fuse size.

In the main lighting is designed to have no larger than a 6A fuse or MCB protecting it. In theroy every bulb should have a fuse built in. In practice often they are not built in and it the bulb when it blows has ionisation the currents can be very high and burn out connections.

Likely if it was with a big bang the wrong fuse has been fitted which has in turn caused something to fail in the fitting.

Thanks, but I don't think it has a fuse, from what I can see anyway. I took the fitting off and it's just wires. It is possible that the wire themselves are damaged and no longer working?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back