Bulbs blown now light not working!!

Nope nothing working at all.

I've changed all three bulbs, changed the switch, there is an on/off pull cord on the light (which I never use) which I have pulled on and off - still nothing! Its very confusing, and frustrating as now it is getting dark.

Im not sure if the fan is R/C - what does R/C stand for please?

*If its remote control, then no its operated by pull cord also.

Sponsored Links
right I got a bit scared about the two wires one hole thing, so just purchased a new switch, a standard one not a dimmer this time. Ive replaced the switch and the light still doesn't work :S

Any suggestions please?
What terminals did you use?

What terminals does it have?

The new switch? Just had one black box on the back with two screw holes. Then a seperate screw hole to the side for the green wire

The new switch? Just had one black box on the back with two screw holes. Then a seperate screw hole to the side for the green wire
woah hang on

does it have a metal plate? If so the above sounds right, but if not we need to know what the terminals are marked as and what you've connected.

Sponsored Links
A metal plate? Do you mean inside of the switch, hmmmn can remember its a stainless steel switch though I dont think thats what you mean. I can take it off and check if needs be.

The two holes were marked L1 & L2 I think.

OK thats fine.

Metal plate means its a metal switch - which is what you have. The yellow wire is earth, and metal plates must be earthed, so it makes sense that you have connected the earth to it. :D

Perhaps the fan itself has a fuse? Though its a long shot.

Ok its wprking now - I have light!!

Nobody shout at me, but I read the instructions and it appears I wired the new switch up wrong :S

I still have no idea what the problem was to begin with but its working now and thanks for all your help guys :)

Nobody shout at me, but I read the instructions and it appears I wired the new switch up wrong :S
A one way switch cannot be wired wrong. It is two contacts brought together by a rocker. It matters not which way you wire it.

:confused:

But if its working then congrats.

:D

Ha ha well that makes it worse then that I managed to do it, but never mind as you say its working now :)

Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back