Spotlight not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a spotlight in the bedroom which when turned on flickered then blew bulb. I have replaced the bulb but now it does not work (I have tried other bulbs also). It did not trip any of the other lights when it occured - any ideas???

Sponsored Links
Have a look down at the inside of the light fitting at the bottom, where the contact makes with the end of the bulb. There may be a black spot that was caused when the other bulb blew. You'll need to clean that off so that the bulb can make proper contact.
You could use a flat bladed screwdriver or a little sandpaper glued to the end of a pencil (the blunt end obviously).
Make sure the juice is off though!

Good luck,
Gcol

Thanks for the advice. I have looked and there did appear to be a black mark but it would not come off. I have looked at another spotlight nearby (a working one) and the same markings are on that one. Any other suggestions???

sounds like something got burnt out, take the light down and have a look, may be less hassle to get a new light

Sponsored Links
What you were looking for was a black mark with a texture like coal. You only need to make the surface smooth again (it doesn't matter if it's still black).
If you've tried a known working bulb and it still doesn't work then, like Breezer says, you're taking it down and checking it out.
If you just got a new bulb and tried that, make sure that there's not a clear lacquer type substance over the bulb contact. I've had that stop a bulb from lighting before now - I assume it's just flux and is very easily sanded away.
You could try lifting the contact in the light fitting (the one that touches the end of the bulb) so that it makes a harder, better contact when you screw in the bulb.
As always, with the juice off.
Cheers,
GCol

Is it an edison screw lamp? I have known the neutral contacts on a ES lampholder to bend back causing bad contacts. Just a thought, worth checking anyway.

Spark123 said:
I have known the neutral contacts on a ES lampholder to bend back causing bad contacts.
Only if you've wired it incorrectly ;) - the threaded outer is supposed to be the neutral on ES lampholders... :LOL:

Some ES lampholders have neutral contacts that flatten with use too...

Thanks for all your info but sadly still not working!!!
Think I am going to have to remove the spotlight now. As I have never done this before do I just remove the two small screws which are visible when the bulb has been removed and then ease it from the hole?
When removed is there anything specific to check for before purchasing a replacement?
Thanks in anticipation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back