After blown bulb, other lights now doesn't work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I hope someone can help me. My light in the entrance hall blew (and tripped the switch for the downstairs lights in the fuse box). I replaced the bulb and reset the switch on the fuse box. It worked fine, however, now my kitchen, toilet and outside light is not working. But the lounge and entrance light is fine.

I attach a diagram of the downstairs and where all the lights and switches are. From previous work, I know that the entrance hall has 4 cables, the lounge has 3, and the toilet has one cable (as indicated on the diagram).
I did the diagram in case someone can tell me why these 3 lights are not working, while others are. PS: I have replaced the bulbs just in case, but that doesn't work.

Attachments

• gdfd.png
    gdfd.png
    180.2 KB · Views: 300
Sponsored Links
Have you changed any fittings recently? Either switches or light fittings?
Sounds like there could be a break in the loop feeding the rest of the circuit.

Or perhaps there is a fused connection unit feeding further lights off the lighting circuit (unusual but not unknown) which has blown, but then if this was the case, the hall light would not work until that fuse was replaced.

Slightly confusing, but my money would be on a loose connection in the rose in the hall. At least as a first thing to try.

Most likely the entrance hall light has a loose wire that you dislodged when replacing the bulb.

Sponsored Links
Hi. Yes I've changed the ceiling roses in the lounge and entrance to new light fittings a few weeks ago, using something similar to wago connectors, as the ceiling roses would not fit the new light fittings. But both worked fine after installation.

And now things aren't working fine.

A good ROT is to check the things you fiddled with most recently before a failure.

Blown bulbs stress connections, so if there was a weak joint/connection this will have provoked it.

WAGO's humm..

Thanks. So if there's a problem with the wires in the hall light fitting, and although the hall light is still working fine after the bulb replacement, it could have affected cables a lot further down the line? Is that what you're all saying?

Thanks. So if there's a problem with the wires in the hall light fitting, and although the hall light is still working fine after the bulb replacement, it could have affected cables a lot further down the line? Is that what you're all saying?
Thats certainly so.
You should check all the connections in the ceiling fittings in hall first ,as previous posts have advised.
The cables are wired in a loop ,going from one ceiling lighting point to another ,and at each one a switch cable is added. The last one on the loop has the least amount of cables ,as it does not feed onward.judging by your diagram the kitchen would be the last one.

Another idea is to check the 2 lights being the first that doesn’t work and the last working one.

Turn the switches on for the non working lights.

Turn on some working ones too on that circuit.

Turn the Mcb off and investigate the wiring in one of the suggested lights have a prod.

Get down off the ladder. Flick Mcb on and see if non working rooms are suddenly lit. And expected ones still lit.

Turn Mcb off. And do the same for next suggested light.

You are going to need a two-probe voltage tester/ multimeter. With this you need to trace the live and neutral feed from light fitting to the next.

Note: a neon screwdriver or one of those wand things will not help. The fault could be in the live or the neutral connections and those screwdrivers do not test the neutral.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back