Downstairs electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed all of my downstairs lighting blew the fuse last night. As process of elimination I took out all the bulbs one by one to see if that was an issue. It still kept tripping the breaker. Even after all the bulbs were taken out it kept tripping. Went to bed to watch TV not a problem. In the morning the upstairs sockets had gone off in the night (on the same circuit as downstairs lighting) again by process of elimination with all the sockets but main breaker still kept tripping. I then switched off the downstairs lights on the breaker and it stopped tripping my upstairs plug sockets. So currently have everything but downstairs lighting. I presume I have an issue with a light fitting or a light switch. Any help or advice would we appreciated

Sponsored Links
Cheers any idea what it could be though. Baffling the be Jesus out of me. Thanks.

What exactly is tripping ,RCD ?
Post a pic of your consumer unit and indicate what trips . Do you have any external light fittings outside ?

Sponsored Links
The rcd keeps tripping. I have external lights that I have taken the bulbs from also.

Attachments

• DSC_4284.JPG
    DSC_4284.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 312
Worth checking the outside light fittings for signs of water ingress ,often the cause of earth leakage on lighting curcuits. Failing that you will need an electrician to establish where the problem is.

The problem is although the MCB switches line the neutral is still connected, so a neutral fault on sockets can effect lights, and the reverse also true, with sockets normally unplugging items works as clearly also disconnecting neutral but with lights all switches only switch the line, some times a double pole switch is used for outside lights, but often not.

So there are two ways to find fault, one a special meter and disconnecting circuits, the other looking at most likely, which in your case is outside lights, in the main water is the problem so looking at places where water can get in, so light below the bathroom and outside light first to look at, also does the lighting circuit supply any non lighting like shaving transformer or TV booster.

Once the visible checks have been done, not much left DIY wise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back