Tripping mini circuit breaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The mini ABB Wylex circuit breaker for the upstairs lights trips even when there are no lights on. I have swapped it over for the downstairs breaker and it worked fine but whichever breaker is fitted in the upstairs holder .. trips?

How can I test to isolate the fault?

I have now also disconnected all light fittings at the ceiling rose and is still trips?

Sponsored Links
Hi, if as you say you have no load on the circuit you may have a wiring fault which will require test kit and the appropriate skill.

check that there is no door bell transformer, shaver socket, outside security light, tv amp in the loft connected to the circuit which may be faulty.

Have you put a nail into a cable? At any rate it needs an electrician to fault find. If it keeps tripping you could end up with a fire.

kind regards,

DS

First thing to check is whether you've got a blown light bulb - these can cause the circuit breaker to trip and, sometimes, continue the fault until the light is switched off or the bulb removed.

pj

Thanks guys ... I've not done any decorating or hung any pictures up and there has been no work done on my house recently. I've disconnected all light fittings at ceiling roses and now have an electrician coming next week as when I reset the breaker earlier there was a bit of a flash at the distribution box and it immediately tripped again so I'm afraid I have exhausted my electrical knowledge and skill set.

Sponsored Links
Nothing has changed, light fittings, decoration .. nothing. The breaker resets and after about 5 minutes. if you try to reset it immediately then there is a flash from the breaker itself so I've decided not to fiddle any more and will wait for an electrician to arrive tomorrow .. just hope I don't get taken for a ride :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back