Please help light switches reversed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please can anyone help with this problem - Im a complete novice, if that, with electrics and I’m a bit ocd so it bothers me immensely me that the switches have reversed, but the bigger issue is safety of course.

In our bedroom we have the bedroom light switch next to the door - normal. Then on wall behind headboard of bed we each have a further light switch for this same light - again normal. The light fitting is three opaque flowery things which I have a bayonet candle 40w bulb in each. Ever since moved in the bulbs tend to pop when they go and we just replace them. Normally the trip switch downstairs does not trigger and remaining bulbs stay on. Please note this bedroom is part of extended part of house above a garage which also has a light and both connect to same box. All other lights connect to main box in original part of house.

So a bulb went again. Again popped but this time the remaining two lights also went out. I figured the trip switch went off too - it had. So I left it off and replaced the bulb. Went down switched back on and then went up and noticed bedroom light was now on even though the main switch was in the off position! The bed wall switches were in the off position also and only turn off the light when put in the ‘on’ position! Bear with me please. So I cannot interchange any switches so that the light is off and all switches are in proper off position!

Worse I checked the garage light and found it too had reversed! The garage light is controlled only by a single switch. I cannot fathom whats happened here - please please can anyone advise a solution and if any issues that might arise safety wise. We can’t stand them being the wrong way in any event!

Many thanks and kind regards

Sponsored Links
Nothing could have happened to change the switch positions. You must not have taken any notice before.

With the bedroom lights being operated from two switches, then obviously if you alternate using the switches then the position of the switches will also alternate when the light is off and then on.

However, those with OCD would like to have the light OFF when BOTH switches are UP or both switches are DOWN.
If yours are not like this you can move the wire at the end of one of the switches that has two terminals from the terminal it is in to the other one.

upload_2018-9-25_18-37-57.png

As for the garage, if there is only one switch then you can change the terminal position as above or turn the switch upside down.

Nothing could have happened to change the switch positions. You must not have taken any notice before.

Really??? We're certain the bedroom light was off when all in 'off' position and could be interchanged so that all would be in the off position if wanted.

With the garage we always saw it as positioned 'off' when the light was off. How could that have happened? I mean to notice this difference in both rooms after a bulb blows must mean something happened right?

With the bedroom lights being operated from two switches, then obviously if you alternate using the switches then the position of the switches will also alternate when the light is off and then on.

Its operated from three switches doesn't make a difference ?

Sponsored Links
When you stated the lights in bedroom were on ,whilst " main " switch was off ,what main switch are you referring to ? Do you have 3 switches controlling the bedroom light ?

When you stated the lights in bedroom were on ,whilst " main " switch was off ,what main switch are you referring to ? Do you have 3 switches controlling the bedroom light ?

Yes precisely. Two on wall next to bedside tables either side. Main one next to door entrance.

As EFL stated above nothing that you have described can cause the switches to alter position /s.

Ok so I think I am going mad here. No genuinely.

I found another switch for the garage hidden behind a desk so that seems to fix the problem there.

Re the bedroom I am going barmy or is has it always been that one switch has to be out of position???

I found another switch for the garage hidden behind a desk so that seems to fix the problem
....…...
What problem ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back