Can I add an EV charging point from my consumer unit?

It matters.
Type A or B RCDs cannot be connected downstream of a type AC.
As I understand it chargers like the HappiZappi can charge at 95 amp, this means any connection would need to be before any MCB and likely before the RCD as it is only 80A as to if you can get the current transformer around the incoming cables, or if you can actually tap into the incoming supply I don't know, we don't even know size of supply fuse, or size of tails.

As a commercial electrician I know there are rules when in control of an ordinary person, but not quite what those rules are, I know it refers to using type tested equipment, but as to what can be done inside a consumer unit and keep its type testing I am not so sure, and not sure about this one point of isolation, I know I have an independent isolator in my house, but not sure if it complies with the rules, well it will for me as I am not an ordinary person, but the casing is plastic I am sure, even if the consumer unit is metal, but it in essence comes down to the installer, what he feels are the rules, and what he is prepared to do, and we can debate it all we want, but at the end of the day, it is down to the guy installing it all. If he reads the regulations as saying he needs an earth rod, and independent RCD type F then that has to be fitted.

In spite of working with inverters and electric vehicles if I wanted an electric car I could not fit my own charging point, without costing me more in courses and exams than it would cost me to hire an electrician who already had the qualifications. @Risteard says it is not a DIY job, even for those with the knowledge required.

Sponsored Links
Hi - OP here - just to clarify something so we don't go off topic, there is no question at all of me doing this as a DIY project, I will be getting a proper EV charger installation company to do it.
The point of the post is that my consumer unit and electric meter are in 2 different rooms and I just wanted to know which one they are likely to connect up to because the cable run from the consumer unit to the outside of the house will be fairly easy, where as the cable run from electric meter to the outside of the house would be a lot more difficult.
Cheers

Hi - OP here - just to clarify something so we don't go off topic, there is no question at all of me doing this as a DIY project, I will be getting a proper EV charger installation company to do it.
The point of the post is that my consumer unit and electric meter are in 2 different rooms and I just wanted to know which one they are likely to connect up to because the cable run from the consumer unit to the outside of the house will be fairly easy, where as the cable run from electric meter to the outside of the house would be a lot more difficult.
Cheers
We have many people coming on this forum asking for advice stating the work will be done by their electrician but for some reason they cannot ask him for the advice - Holiday, hospital, having a baby, dog ate the phone etc. it is blatently obvious to us that the aformentioned electrician has never and will never exist. For what it's worth I read the question in the OP and my instant reaction was one of a genuine enquiry- a breath of fresh air even.

Cheers
Well the EV installer will tell you that when they come to inspect the install....surely they are not going to turn up without looking first

Sponsored Links
Well the EV installer will tell you that when they come to inspect the install....surely they are not going to turn up without looking first

Typically the big firms ask for photos and quote without seeing the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back