Anyone see any issues with this consumer unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

As title really, can anyone see any issues with the consumer unit in the pictures below?

IMG_20240426_132018_edit_209555118811253.jpg

IMG_20240426_134045_edit_210810130817832.jpg

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
I have tried to trace wires, in top of RCD's out of bottom, and they look correct to me, but hard to trace with picture. The RCD's are type AC and only 63 amp the latter OK if on a 60 amp fuse, the
For RCD trip, switch off all MCBs then switch on one MCB at a time, RCD will trip on faulty MCB circuit.
is only true for a line - earth fault, with a neutral - earth fault it may trip on highest loaded MCB rather than one on faulty circuit. To test which circuit is tripping the RCD it needs one with an inbuilt RCM (residual current monitor) Eaton xPole had this 1714143176852.pngsee little red triangle, but a internet hunt for xPole seems to get a lot of wrong results. The one shown is only type C, RCBO 16 amp at £148 so one can see why not normally fitted in domestic. Also no SPU fitted.

Today I would not fit a split RCD type consumer unit, I would be looking at all RCBO, but it does depend when fitted, commercial and domestic both use BS 7671 however some aspects are looked at in a different light, I was reading how one needs to explain the potential danger of having multi-MCB's on one RCD, the wording does mean one has to question what is potentially dangerous, some even class no SPU as potentially dangerous. I would hesitate even giving it a code C3 same with type AC RCD.

However why do you ask? Is it a collage exercise, or has some one failed it? And is it industrial, commercial, or domestic, I know they should be the same, but one has to consider no toddlers crawling around a factory. And no factory inspector looking at domestic.

Sponsored Links
It looks like the thick Neutral is in the wrong bar.
I find it very difficult to work out from that photo what is going on with the neutrals.

On the face of it, it rather looks as if the RH RCD is being fed from the RH neutral bar (which makes no sense) and that it's neutral output goes to the middle bar (which also doesn't make much sense), and I can't work out where the neutral out of the LH RCD is going.

What is your interpretation of what is connected to what?

I find it very difficult to work out from that photo what is going on with the neutrals.

On the face of it, it rather looks as if the RH RCD is being fed from the RH neutral bar (which makes no sense) and that it's neutral output goes to the middle bar (which also doesn't make much sense), and I can't work out where the neutral out of the LH RCD is going.

What is your interpretation of what is connected to what?
No. RCD 2 is linked from RCD 1, fed from the main neutral bar. They feed neutral bars 1 and 2 respectively. The neutral he's talking about is the one for the B40 feed in RCD 2, which appears to be in the wrong neutral bar.

No. RCD 2 is linked from RCD 1, fed from the main neutral bar. They feed neutral bars 1 and 2 respectively.
That's how it should be, but your eyesight must be better than mine, since I still can't convince myself that such is how it is :)
The neutral he's talking about is the one for the B40 feed in RCD 2, which appears to be in the wrong neutral bar.
If that fairly fat neutral connected to the right-most used terminal in the middle neutral bar is coming from that B40 circuit,then I agree it';s connected to the wrong neutral bar. However, if that CU is in service one would expect RCD trips - which, admittedly, the OP has not told us are not occurring!

Sorry for the delay in replying.

The units been installed for nearly 3 years, never had any issues with it apart from I always felt it was quite an untidy install, the cables up the wall weren't clipped, cables inside the unit were lopped round each other etc. so yesterday I neatened it all up, clipped the cables to the wall, shortened and made those in the unit as neat as possible, just wanted to check I hadn't made any obvious mistakes.

IMG_20240427_082646.jpg

The neutral in question I think is the one marked in orange? Yes that's from the B40 next to the right hand rcd (shower), I assume your saying it should go where I've marked in orange and the other 3 circuits on that side should all move one to the right?

Thanks
Chris

Yep. Also to the left of that wire it looks like there's 3 neutrals but only appears to be 2 lives in the B6 breaker, is that a mistake or just the photo angle?

"I find it very difficult to work out from that photo what is going on with the neutrals."

I will second that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back