Consumer unit in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my garage has electrics, but has not got a consumer unit. It has 1 light switch and 3 sockets and was wandering if I should install a consumer unit? Can anyone tell me which consumer unit I should buy and would i be able to install it as I am not an electrician?
Any advice would be grateful.
Regards Dave

Sponsored Links
Would it be safer to have some kind of circuit breaker in the garage or should I leave it as it is?

They aren’t really required. It’s good that the light has a suitable fuse if wiring thin.

Is the supply to garage protected by RCD ?

Sponsored Links
The supply is protected by RCD. I just wandered why it didn't have it's own unit in the garage. My garage is detached and my neighbour has a CU in theirs. Perhaps I don't need one.

Hi, my garage has electrics, but has not got a consumer unit. It has 1 light switch and 3 sockets and was wandering if I should install a consumer unit? Can anyone tell me which consumer unit I should buy and would i be able to install it as I am not an electrician?
Regards Dave
No you wouldn't be able to.

Can anyone tell me which consumer unit I should buy and would i be able to install it as I am not an electrician
No, because by doing that you will be making new circuits. Installing a consumer unit and adding new circuits are NOTIFIABLE events.
You'd need a registered electrician. But, as above, you dont need one.

Just a small question. The feed in to the garage, does this come from the house consumer unit? What size MCB is on this circuit and is it RCD-protected? Post a photo of the house consumer unit if you aren's sure!

This is the house consumer unit

Attachments

• 17112824289228521987483976879061.jpg
    17112824289228521987483976879061.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 29
Regards Dave
Just add a new way in your consumer unit and run separate light and socket circuits from it appropriately protected by rcd's

Hmm. 32amp MCB in the house CU feeding the garage. That may be OK, but that depends on what the cable(s) are out to the garage and his they are connected to the 3 sockets and the lights.
Need a lot more info before providing any more advice.

I am not an electrician.....

When I built my garage I got the electrician to run SWA to a new CU in the garage.

I fitted about 15(?) two gang sockets, including exterior sockers and internal/external lighting (yeah- overkill).

I liked the fact that I could isolate each circuit as required.

That was about 25 yrs ago, and no, I didn't notify anyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back