replacing the consumer unit

Sponsored Links
Volex = yuk

OK, I won't say it - but don't expect me to say you sound competent to be undertaking the work yourself.
Repalcing a consumer unit is notifiable under part p of the building regs.

If you read the description there is an RCBO too ;) which in 99% of houses is not one iota of use as they have more than one lighitng circuit :LOL:
Did I say I don't like volex?

Sponsored Links
sorry, it HAS to be said..

get a registered electrician in to do it..

you quite obviously lack the knowledge to do this safely, most probably lack the required test instruments to do the necesary testing and will STILL have to pay the LABC to notify them of doing it before you start work..

Why don't you want us to tell you to get an electrician?

It seems from your post that you are fully aware that you don't know how to safely carry out this work, and the CU you linked to shows you don't know the regulations which govern this work.

What else do you really expect us to advise you?

The consumer unit you chose looks to be one of the cheapest.

It is not the best make and as others have said will not necesarily meet the requirements.

Yes you can change the consumer unit learning by trial and error. Can be painful can be fatal.

And if you are lucky enough to get the electrics working how will you know it is a safe installation ?

So do you value your life enough to save a few hundred pounds and get the work done safely.
And it may not be you that gets hurt. when your CU fails to react to fault that developes into a fire.

Oh look at this other post

hello,
ok after looking for 40a fuse wire to change the current 30a fuse used only by the shower, i learned it dose not exist.

can aneone tell me if its going to be possable to get a fuse to 40 amp on this fuse bourd?

Are you sure the cable to the shower can carry 40 amps without starting to get hot. May be very hot and catch fire.....

If you think you can jsut put 40 amp fuse wire in a 30 amp circuit and still be safe then think again. You may be static, dead static.
[/quote]

basicly what my main question is how to stop the electric supply.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm really notaspark and would never pretend to be one so am fully qualified to say......

DON'T TRY DOING THIS YOURSELF. GET A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN!

can anyone tell me how easy it is to replace the consumer unit?
Quite easy. If you're an electrician.

basicly what my main question is how to stop the electric supply.
You ask your supplier to fit an isolator for you. If that's your main question, you're in real trouble...

please dont say get an electrician even tho its prob wise.
Why not?

Really?

please dont say get an electrician even tho its prob wise.
If you don't want to receive good advice, then WTF are you asking for advice on a site where you'll get it?

Why don't you go and ask on a site populated by idiots like you - then you might get the idiotic advice you would clearly prefer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back