Posh Shed at the end of the Garden

Yes - what relevance?

You brought it up in a topic that wasn't about crimping, so surely you can explain why you thought it was relevant to this topic and to what I'd said?

If not, can you explain why you brought it up?

Or if you are unable to explain either, is this something you often do - writing stuff without any reason, and for which you can't come up with any explanation?

Sponsored Links
what relevance? please

you are the one alledging the op is taking the P**s, me thinks it is you taking the p**s making such allegations and you cannot even crimp correctly oh dear!-the words people and glasshouses spring to mind!

just for the record this was put in my last post but now appears deleted mmm!!!

Roy,

I have used one of the Volex 50A Shower CU items mentioned in your OP. It was something that i bought but never used until now. The actual casing is slightly flimsy and will not take an SWA gland,however it is perfectly usable as a Garage or shed CU with a few adaptions, for my application I used a blank metalclad box to terminate the SWA then fed the SWA galnd & Box earths along with the 3 x inner cores up through the plastic casing, I also replaced the single 50A MCB for a 6A and 20A unit. here's a picture, (The unit is power off at the moment whilst I re-route the clipped cables inside conduit trunking after a re-think based on advice ) ;

A 2 way metalclad Garage consumer unit can be had cheaply on the net, i was just using up bits that i already had to hand.

http://photos.imageevent.com/sidandcoke/generaldumpinggroundforgashpiccys/large/Volex CU.JPG

Welcome to DIYnot.com

DIY - Home Improvement - Do It Yourself
DIY can be both challenging and rewarding - this is where DIYnot.com aims to help. Our expert teams have brought together hundreds of information pages.

Welcome to DIYNOT Forums

Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules and enjoy the site!.

1) This is a friendly site and we ask that everyone is treated with respect!

1a) Abusive or unhelpful posts are not welcome on this site and are always removed!

2) Posts should be topic relevant and threads that become abusive will be closed!

what relevance? please
You keep saying that.

Is that because you think the relevance is self evident, or because you realise that there is no relevance whatsoever?

you are the one alledging the op is taking the P**s,
No - I said I feared he was.

I know he subsequently said he wasn't but at the time I looked at his post I had doubts that someone was interested in details down to the level of models of CU, cable sizes, conduit sizes, and was making design decisions about the installation and routing of cables when all he wanted to do, apparently, was to be able to check that the electrician(s) he got to quote knew what they were doing.

me thinks it is you taking the p**s making such allegations
No - see above.

and you cannot even crimp correctly oh dear!-the words people and glasshouses spring to mind!
Actually, I can crimp correctly, and as I said - if you want to discuss that then please take it to the relevant topic.

If I was criticising the OPs crimping technique then I guess my abilities to perform the task might be of relevance, but here they are not, and would not be even if they were poor.

Unless you can, at the 3rd time of asking, explain why my skills at crimping are in any way relevant to whether my doubts over the original post were reasonable or understandable then I suggest you stop cluttering up the topic with irrelevances that add nothing apart from a demonstration of your inability to reason and think logically.

Sponsored Links
My logic comes from the fact that the pics you posted prove in no uncertain terms you cannot crimp. I care not if your work is a fire hazard but as you so rightly say start a new topic regarding your inability to crimp and I will advise.

Roy,

I have used one of the Volex 50A Shower CU items mentioned in your OP. It was something that i bought but never used until now. The actual casing is slightly flimsy and will not take an SWA gland,however it is perfectly usable as a Garage or shed CU with a few adaptions, for my application I used a blank metalclad box to terminate the SWA then fed the SWA galnd & Box earths along with the 3 x inner cores up through the plastic casing, I also replaced the single 50A MCB for a 6A and 20A unit. here's a picture, (The unit is power off at the moment whilst I re-route the clipped cables inside conduit trunking after a re-think based on advice ) ;

A 2 way metalclad Garage consumer unit can be had cheaply on the net, i was just using up bits that i already had to hand.

http://photos.imageevent.com/sidandcoke/generaldumpinggroundforgashpiccys/large/Volex CU.JPG

Hi kwikfix,
Thanks for the response, the components were only things that I had seen looking through screwfix and put forward as suggestions, to put some up some idea of my thoughts that I could take forward with an electrician. I've subsequently found that as my CU has spare MCB slots an option could be to put a 32A connection and then run to a 2 way board in the shed breaking it down to 16A and 6A. I've got a few requests out for quotes and see what comes back.
Thanks again for the advice
It has been a fun day :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back