Info for wiring a shed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys
I have used the search to find out the info but it is not releviant .
I intend to fit electrics to my shed.
In the shed I will have two double sockets and a light.
A freezer will be fed from one of the sockets.
I will put a consumer unit in the shed with a 6 amp mcb for the lights
and a 16 amp mcb for the sockets.
The consumer unit will be fed from the house consumer unit using Armour cable which will be buried. The size 2.5 mm 3 core
This is fed from the house main consumer unit through a fused switch.
All boxes are metal.
I intend to use 2.5 mm TE for the sockets and the connection to the house consumer board, and 1mm for the light.
The run of the armour cable is approx 15m
The house consumer unit looks like an old type, metal with black breakers
not like the ones i have bought for the shed
Only problem I can see is the house consumer unit has a spare 16 amp mcb. would this be big enough??
Is the armour cable big enough.
Would this installation be ok.

Hope the info is enough
Thanks Everyone

Sponsored Links
Is the armour cable big enough.

Assuming you connect the SWA to the spare 16A way and the run is about 15m then 2.5mm^2 is sufficient for the maximum load the breaker will allow (16A).

Only problem I can see is the house consumer unit has a spare 16 amp mcb. would this be big enough??

The question you need to ask yourself is 'will 16A be enough for the expected loads in the shed?' Freezer (5A) Lights (up to 6A) ... will you need a heater in there? Will you be doing any hobbies in there (woodworking?)

Another thing to think about is discrimination - you will be running a consumer unit with a 16A and 6A MCB from a 16A MCB.

Say you draw 3A for the lights and you are drawing 15A from the sockets, the MCB at your house would blow before the respective MCB's in the shed. This would be a pain in the ass since you'd lose lights and power and then have to walk back to the house to reset it.

I intend to use 2.5 mm TE for the sockets and the connection to the house consumer board, and 1mm for the light.

What do you mean by 'and the connection to the house consumer board'? I thought you were running that in SWA? 2.5mm^2 is fine for the sockets inside the shed and 1mm^2 is fine for the lights.

Would this installation be ok.

This work is notifiable so either get a competant spark whos part P registered to carry out the work or notify your local council that you are doing it yourself and arrange for it to be inspected.

I'm assuming you understand all the requirements regarding earthing, RCD's and the burial of the cable? If not then definately get an electrician in.

Davy

Hi
Thanks for the reply.
The sockets will be used only for the freezer and maybe a stereo player
Nothing to big.
The connection to the consumer unit is as follows>
The armour cable through a fused switch then 2,5mm TE into the unit.
So I will have to get a bigger MCB 20 amp.
I live in Scotland is the regs any different up here???
Thanks again

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back