power to a shed

24 Jul 2003
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I want to run electric from the house to a shed, the shed will have its own consumer unit, what I want to know is what size armoured cable do I use 2.5mm or 4.00mm, plus what does the mcb rating have to be for the armoured cable from the house.
Sponsored Links
Since you will be using wire armoured cable and presumably burying it, (it has to be De-rated for burying) i would suggest you use 6mm and a 32 A mcb.

This will be more than enough

If how ever you have some 2. 5 wire armoured cable "spare" you can use it but you should only use a 20 A mcb

again this will be more than enough , but ultimately it depends on what you are going to put in your shed
just a few sockets and lighting, so the 2.5mm oppstion will be ok will it
Sponsored Links
as i said it depends what you are going to put on the end (of those sockets)

if its just for the lawn mower, pond pump. odd garden light yes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local