power to new shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Can anyone help. I've just bought a new shed and need power to it.
My old shed has power from a secondary cu inside house via a 20amp mcb. This shed only has 1 double socket. (no light)
The existing armoured cable looks old and would not be long enough to serve new shed. Therefore I need to lay a new armoured cable and put a small cu in new shed just for a couple of sockets and a light.
What size armoured cable ie is 2.5mm ok?
Does the cable need to be layed in conduit,what depth underground etc?
What ampage do mcbs need to be in shed cu?
Is the 20amp mcb in house cu enough?
I am getting an electrician to do final connections but just want to do donkey work myself to keep costs down.
Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is probably best you talk to the electrician that is going to make final connections, inspect, test and cert work.
They will be able offer you guidance on load, route, distance, voltage drop, cable and protective device ratings.

Normally you would dig a trench between 450-600mm and install a duct to route your cable. This would need to be marked.
The load required in the shed would depend on what you intend to do in there. This would determine your fuse rating and the distance between supply and load side plus fuse rating would determine the CSA of the conductors.

Your electrician needs to get involved sooner, you have to work out design current, volt drop and a few other parameters before you can size the cable.
You also have to check the environmental conditions of the area to spec up the equipment to be installed.

There is the possibility that you could join the SWA cable already going to the shed but again your electrician would need to ensure this is OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back