Making My Own Rig

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

Im currently at college 1 day a week learning a level 2 2330. I want to practice some circuits at home so i have got some plywood and sockets,switches etc and some t&e 1.0 and 2.5mm.

Im looking to get this consumer unit to use (only want a small one as only going to do 1 circuit or 2 at the most. http://www.screwfix.com/prods/54580...Way-Fully-Insulated-Main-Switch-Consumer-Unit

Will this be ok?

Im also going to get a 6A, 32A MCB for lighting and ring/radials.

My last question is this: The consumer unit comes with a 100A DP main switch. I presume i need to get a RCD to install in the Consumer unit and possibly a rcd adaptor that plugs into the wall for double protection? (Im connecting the Consumer Unit by flex and plug just to see if a bulb lights up etc.

Has anyone got any diagrams how RCDs and main switches are wired up in a consumer unit? That would really help! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If you at college, ask your tutor.
It's a great idea setting up your own rig to practice installing different circuit and using different types of cable.
Also this will help you perform the dead tests and give practice and understanding.
Notice I said dead tests, I would not recommend that you performed live tests at this point unsupervised, so I'd leave the live testing at college or work under supervision.
So don't make the rig live, If your looking for a bargain go on ebay for CU don't need to be anything fancy or expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MEMERA-2000-C...ls_Supplies_Electrical_ET?hash=item414c271251

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
IMO you should try and go for a better quality make than Volex.
You'll tend to use the make you are familiar with and you'd be better off learning with something that you will (later) install with pride.

The eBay MEM job would do fine.

I guess you'll be using this at home? Is the socket that you'll be plugging the test rig into protected by an RCD already? If so you don't need another one.

Remember that an RCD is used for supplementary, not basic, protection and should not be used as an excuse to be cavalier about safety. You can still cop a packet even with an RCD.
It will be very good for you to use and practise safe isolation procedures when working on your test rig. It will stand you in good stead as you will need to be doing this every day once you are "on the tools".

Good luck.

Thanks guys thats great help.

I will probs get the volex ccu atm only becuase im really short on cash at the moment. Thanks for looking though. The conusmer unit will be plugged into the wall socket but im not sure if it has RCD protection so should i buy a RCD adaptor like this?
119-9823154SPA71UC522012M.jpg

Then plug that into the wall? Also, will a 3 core flex cable be fine to plug into the main switch in the CU?

Thanks guys :)

Sponsored Links
I will probs get the volex ccu atm only becuase im really short on cash at the moment.
The eBay one is currently cheaper - might not end up so, but it would be worth watching eBay for a while, unless you're in a desperate rush, there are CUs starting at £7.50, and ones with breakers starting at £9. They'll be even cheaper if you find one you can collect. That Screwfix one is over £22, without shipping.

im not sure if it has RCD protection
Well find go and have a look, before buying something which might be a waste....

will a 3 core flex cable be fine to plug into the main switch in the CU?
Yup.

I will probs get the volex ccu atm only becuase im really short on cash at the moment.

It was good advice to look at what's available on E-Bay.

Thanks for looking though. The conusmer unit will be plugged into the wall socket but im not sure if it has RCD protection so should i buy a RCD adaptor like this?

I thought you said you wanted to practice at home?

I'd suggest if you can't work out whether a circuit already has RCD protection, you're not yet ready to even contemplate live testing. So no need to plug anything in.

In any case, live testing is discouraged and most testers will tell you that 90% of the job is dead testing and understanding what the results mean.

In fact, save your self some money and forget about building a rig for now. (It would exercise your practical skills but you'll spend far more time on erection than testing and once assembled the characteristics would be fixed.) Instead, get some offcuts of cable and work out how long they are from your continuity readings. Then assemble a ring final circuit with some spurs on - no need for it to be on a board - and see if you can carry out the tests and predict the results.

The simulated test rig is an artificial set-up that actually confuses some experienced electricians; but wait, you're at home, why not try testing out those real circuits? (Wait till your parents are out!)

Well i work at screwfix part time so get 25% discount but i will continue to look on ebay.

I did not even mention live testing, i just want to connect it up to see if a bulb lights up and switches on and off in 1 way and 2 way lighting etc, then i can test for continuity and inuslation resistance. I can still do this at home, by just getting 3 core flex and plugging it into the CU and wall socket.

The CU under the stairs has a RCD on it, but i suppose it isnt gonna harm buying an adaptor "just incase"

Thanks guys, you've been really helpful

You wont need an RCD adaptor then, providing the RCD is protecting the circuit you wish to use. But I don't think you should be going live yet, don't be offended but sounds like you are still a little green.
You should know that turning the light on and off, is a functional test and other live tests precede this.

Re-reading his initial post I don't think this is about testing yet, just real basic 1-, 2- and 3-way switching etc.

The board can be used later for testing, but for now, with these

rx86t_new.jpg

installed temporarily, and a battery or wall-wart used to power the rig, he can practice that sort of thing safely.

possibly a rcd adaptor that plugs into the wall for double protection?

Personally I wouldn't bother.
And if your CU at the place you will plug this in most has a 30mA RCD, there is no point.

If your going to do live testing/fault finding then would be usful.

And if your that scared of electricity, I would give up training now. :confused:

The wylex 2 way CU's are cheaper at screwfix than on ebay.

ebay is a good place to get MCB's or RCD's for this project though. (get the right make to match the CU)

A sparks mate of mine's son is on his 3rd year electrical apprenticeship. He built a rig at home the same as they have in college. Wired it all up correctly etc. His dad makes faults on it for him to find, same as the college lecturer does. He's never ever caught his lad out yet and now concedes that his son will be a better sparky than he is. Mind you his lad is now installing alarms, cctv systems and doing lots of industrial stuff as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back