Consumer unit trip switch stuck!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_2596.JPG
hi, just replaced some lights in my garage, I switched the circuit off at the consumer unit, did the light the flicked the consumer unit back on, no light...
So went to switch off at the consumer unit and the switch is stuck!!! It comes out about halfway and that's it. Wondering/ hoping that's the issue!

It's a Hager unit and the switches are ones that have fuses in, I've attached an image of the unit, the main fuse on the right is full out, the lighting circuit on the left won't come out any further any hints or tricks before I call out a professional?!

I'd also note that none of the RCDs went (either the main one on that consumer unit, or the feeding RCD on the consumer unit in the house)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
View attachment 148213 hi, just replaced some lights in my garage, I switched the circuit off at the consumer unit, did the light the flicked the consumer unit back on, no light...
So went to switch off at the consumer unit and the switch is stuck!!! It comes out about halfway and that's it. Wondering/ hoping that's the issue!
Clearly it should open more than that or you'd never be able to replace the fuse. (They are fuse holders, BTW, not switches)

But does it close, or is it jammed in that half-open position?

the main fuse on the right is full out
It's not a "main" fuse, it's just the fuse for the sockets.

Presumably that one opens and closes OK? Can you compare exactly how it moves, and with how much resistance, with the lighting one?

I'd also note that none of the RCDs went (either the main one on that consumer unit, or the feeding RCD on the consumer unit in the house)
1) Why should it?

2) The one in the photo is a switch, not an RCD, so hopefully the one in the house has one.

IMG_2600.JPG
Thanks for the reply, managed to get a better picture (attached) noticed the fuse was at an angle. After switching off the feed supply (which was an RCD rather than a swiitch!) I pushed an insulated screwdriver into the small hole and out it popped.
Good news is the fuse was all good and the lights came straight on.

After switching off the feed supply (which was an RCD rather than a swiitch!)
I'm hoping it was an MCB or RCBO, not an RCD, as the latter provides no over-current protection.

If an MCB it should be in an RCD protected section of the main CU.

Photo would be handy....

Sponsored Links
fyi, although you can switch MCBs on and off under load, fuses must always be taken off load first, usually by turning off the main switch. Pulling or inserting a fuse under load will lead to arcing, sometimes quite a flash, and sometimes even welding contacts together (which I initially thought possible in your case)

Thanks for the tip! Will ensure I do that in future, and apologies for the lack of the correct terminology, I understand it was rewired in 2011 so should be to a proper standard. (Main unit image attached)
IMG_2602.JPG

In that close-up, is there something broken there?

Sometimes 1362 fuses are used, which are longer and can get jammed in.

The garage is on an RCBO, so that's OK, and as it doesn't share an RCD with any house circuit there will be no problems with losing some of those because of an earth fault outside.

I don't know what you do in the garage, but there is the potential for you to be plunged into darkness whilst doing it if that RCBO trips - you might like to think about putting an emergency light out there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back