Garage consumer unit query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a Hager VC202 consumer unit in the garage with 2 connections (not switches but pull down with fuses inside).

The issue I have had is that the main unit in the house has tripped a couple of times and when I turn it back on, sometimes it will not stay on until I turn off the garage switch in the main consumer unit. This has only happened a couple of times and I have left the garage switch off for now.

What I was wondering was can the 2 connectors in the garage be changed for MCB's rather than the current fused modules and will they work with the isolation switch or will it be best to change the garage consumer unit for one that has the RCB switch.

What I am looking to achieve is if it garage does cause it to trip out, rather than the RCB in the main consumer unit getting tripped it will only cause trip out on the garage consumer unit.

Thank you in advance for any responses

Sponsored Links
If your current garage consumer unit is protected by an RCD in the house, adding an RCD in the garage may not stop the RCD in the house from tripping. You'll probably find they both trip, or ironically, just the one in the house!

The best way to solve it would be to install the supply to the garage in a way that does not require RCD protection for that cable, and then supply it from an non-RCD breaker in your house CU, or to split the tails to your house consumer unit.

The first thing to check is to unplug all appliances in the garage, see if it resets, and then if it still doesn't, check for any water that may have got into light fittings, sockets etc. If the RCD still won't reset, then you may have a fault that you will need an electrician to investigate.

Hi, you must have an earth leakeage on a circuit in the gararge. Check for water ingress into the lighting or sockets. Have you tried removing the fuses to isolate the circuits one at a time in the garage ? You could alter the supply as you sugest, however it would require the garage supply at the house end being altered to have it's own supply .

Regards,

DS

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
N.B. If safety device operates, remove it or reposition to facilitate switching on again. Make no attempt to find the cause.

If oil light comes on in your car, remove bulb.

These are extremely humourous and sarcastic comments and not to be taken seriously.

Last edited:
One of these, maybe?

_electrocuted__by_admln.gif
electricf.gif
760826283507b1f76a55f0.gif

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

I never really use the garage sockets, the only time it is used is for turning on the lights when the wife put's her bike away.

The two times it has caused the RCB to trip we have not been in the garage and if my memory serves me well it may have rained before hand so I would assume it has something to do with water ingress. I will give the fittings a check for signs of water. Thanks once again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back