Replaced consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved house and decided to have the old fusebox replaced with a new split consumer unit. After the unit was fixed the rcb would trip every time it was set for the ring main (house only has one ring main). I unplugged everything on the circuit but it still tripped. This circuit was then placed on the non-protected side of the consumer unit. Is there an easy and cheap way to identify the wiring fault/problem that was causing the rcb to trip.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
do you mean RCD? you should get whoever installed your consumers unit to come back and check it, since it is not right.

i would guess a socket retaing screw is jut cacthing a neutral wire

That is exactly what happened with mine breezer although due to the ring main going upstairs then downstairs and then back again it took the sparkies a while to isolate.

Simply moving the to the non RCD side is a bodge. Get them back !

Would I be able to detect a socket retaing screw catching a neutral wire by using one of those electrician's screwdrivers and seeing if it lights up when touching the retaining screws of all the sockets?

Sponsored Links
no, because it is an earth / neutral fault, and besides you would be doing the job of the person who installed it. get them back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back