RCB keeps tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any one help!!

Problem:- RCB keeps tripping.

I have 3 ring mains in the house and can not isolate the problem to anyone of the rings. If i unplug every appliance in the house and then reset the RCB it will stay on.

If I then plug any appliance into any of the 3 rings the RCB trips.

Any ideas please.

Sponsored Links
Firstly, I assume you mean RCCB Residual Current Circuit Breaker.

Next, what have you done prior to this problem?

I would expect some one to have reconnected a neutral to the wrong bar.

neutral to earth short somewhere, won't trip the rcd unless there is load on it. Hung any new pictures lately?

only way to narrow it down is to start disconnecting the neutrals for the rings one at a time at the cu, and seeing if the problem goes away, the damaged ring would also show up when tested with a continuatity tester or megger. If you have a basic multimeter you can (with the power off) measure the resistance between disconnected neutrals and the earth block, you should get infinite/out of range if its ok

Sponsored Links
Have done nothing in the house at all, no wiring has been changed and no pictures have been hung.

Will check the resistance later when i get home.
++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks Chaps,

Invaluable information, wife had tightened a socket facia this morning, looks like the screw caught the neutral.

All fine now.

please note 10a which is here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back