consumer unit rcb

ok thanks for everyone's help.

to be honest the electrics are a lot better than my old place which still had bakerlite re-wireable fuses!
That don't make it better!
Looks to me that the original circuit in the unblanked spare has been moved to non RCD side.

Sponsored Links
it does make i better. it was a 1930s house with original wiring no earths in lighting circuits

Thanks for the help regarding this query. I got an electrician in to look at the consumer unit.

He tried putting the upstairs and downstairs lights on separate rcds but one kept tripping. He suggested it was most likely related to how the landing hallway 2 way lighting was wired. Anyway he said it was safe just bad practice. Regarding the sockets off RCD, he just put them back on and all seems to be working fine. No trips or problems. Didn't bother to pay him to investigate further as we both concluded that is was most likely tripping due to an appliance of the last homeowner.

Its funny how every tradesman I get in slag off other peoples work though. He commented on the fact that people really shouldn't buy cheap consumer units from b&q and the fact that the warning labels were not aligned! He said he doesn't fit anything other than Wylex which got to admit they do look a better quality!

thanks again, I feel a bit safer now!

76000_75920_52906_25117898_thumb.jpg

thanks again, I feel a bit safer now!
Sorry to rain on your parade, but...

He suggested it was most likely related to how the landing hallway 2 way lighting was wired. Anyway he said it was safe just bad practice.
He's wrong - it's not safe.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:sneutral

OK - it's not what you'd actually call dangerous, but for him to dismiss it as just "bad practice" is unprofessional, the problem should be fixed, not masked by putting all the lights on the same RCD.

Sponsored Links
He did actually say he would suggest re-wiring the 2 way light, but I think I can live with this. All the lights are fused and protected by RCD. Surely if there was a problem they would trip anyway.

Read it. I guess as long as i am aware of the shared neutral Im sure I will be ok. Im not going to get wound up about that! I am sure a high proportion of the UK houses still have them, and people are unaware. I would imagine then its unsafe - even then, I can't see why it would be a problem unless people fiddle and start adding new lights etc.

Forgive me if i'm missing the point but if all my circuits are RCD protected and i'm aware of the the shared neutral then i'm not going to loose any sleep over it!

Surely if there was a problem they would trip anyway.
RCDs only trip when there is a earth current or other reason for there being a difference in the currents on Live and Neutral through the RCD.

A fault can exist without any earth current flowing so then the RCD will NOT trip. For example a metal light switch that is not earthed might become live, nothing will trip. It can be touched by people not in contact with ground ( earth ) and nothing will happen, they only feel a very slight sensation as current cannot flow to ground ( earth ) through them. But if they then touch something that is earthed ( or bonded ) while still touching the switch they get a shock and the RCD MAY trip due to the diference between Live and Neutral currents through the RCD.

Good ol' borrowed neutrals.

You could remove the danger (but not the inconvenience) by having both lights on the same MCB - depending on what your lighting load is like

I had the same problem in my house - splitting the lights between two RCD's tripped the RCD, after some investigation, turned out it was actually a borrowed live in a switch so took me 2 minutes to fix in the end.

Good to see that your unprotected MCB is now back in the RCD side, did this work immediately or was there some work required?

Thanks iggifer. No investigation required - put sockets on RCD and nothing has tripped over 48 hours. Hopefully it was down to a nuisence trip from fridge or similar appliance from previous owner. Time will tell!

I would imagine it was a fixed wiring issue that required the MCB to be moved to a non-RCD way rather than an appliance issue - the first step in diagnosing RCD tripping is to unplug appliances.

It could have been some water ingress that has now dried out or the repair work was actually carried out and the MCB got forgotten about

Is it your upstairs or downstairs sockets?

There is a plug socket quite near kitchen sink low level. Looks like internal contacts are oxidised. Maybe water got in there. The plug is dead now and the electrician plugged something in it and there was no feed. Maybe it was due to this socket. Anyway when the kitchen was done they grouted the socket flush with the tiles so can't take out easy or inspect. Prob just buy one if those child protected things for sockets

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back