electrics to my shed help??????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi please help i've got a garage and shed i have electricity in garage ive put another cable in consumer unit into the garage rcb. ive ran the cable to shed into a double socket and from there to light switch to light. the socket works but when i switch on light it trips the rcb. how do i get the socket light and switch all working together. i dont know if this matters but the light switch is a 1 gang 2 way switch

Sponsored Links
Well, I'm afraid you have done it all wrong.

Someone will be along in a minute and give you some links.

ive ran the cable to shed into a double socket and from there to light switch to light.

How, exactly, have you run the cable "from there to light switch to light"? I ask this because my father once wired up a light with the switch in parallel. When he put the fuse back in, he was a bit surprized to find that the light was already on. :confused: :confused: :confused: He was even more surprized when he flipped the switch and blew the service fuse - and him a science teacher too. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

But, leaving that aside for now, you have a double socket and a light on the same circuit. :eek: :eek: :eek: What size breaker? What size cable? :?: :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
ive got 6mm armoured cable coming from a 32a rcb to the double socket and i think 4mm to the rest. please let me know how to fix thanks

You do not have the first clue how to do any of this.

For God's sake get an electrician before you kill yourself, or worse, someone else.

one way or other i will find out what to do. so either tell me how to do it properly or go away. the last thing i came on here for is for you or anyone else make me feel like a tit. no wonder people don't like to ask for help. so is there anyone else out there who can just help and not take satisfaction in me getting it wrong. thanks

What you need to do is read up on how electricity works and the basics of electrical installations.

You also need to hire an electrician to do it right as you've got a lot of learning to do and a lot of equipment to get if you want to do it yourself.

hi please help i've got a garage and shed i have electricity in garage ive put another cable in consumer unit into the garage rcb. ive ran the cable to shed into a double socket and from there to light switch to light. the socket works but when i switch on light it trips the rcb. how do i get the socket light and switch all working together. i dont know if this matters but the light switch is a 1 gang 2 way switch
From the rcb in the garage a properly installed and terminated cable to another mini consumer unit in the shed, one power circuit and one lighting circuit, should suffice, for your needs, take care that polarities are observed.

Wotan

From the rcb in the garage a properly installed and terminated cable to another mini consumer unit in the shed, one power circuit and one lighting circuit, should suffice, for your needs, take care that polarities are observed.

Wotan

Do you really think he (or you!) has a hope of doing that safely if neither of you can tell the difference between an MCB, an RCCB, and an RCBO?

Not to mention the small issue that he doesn't know how a switch works.

one way or other i will find out what to do.
If you keep on attempting to DIY you're very likely to find out the hard way that "what to do" is "get an electrician".

so either tell me how to do it properly or go away.
The way to do it properly is ...

... get an electrician.

the last thing i came on here for is for you or anyone else make me feel like a tit.
That may be so, but the first thing you should have done was to learn how do do what you wanted to do before diving in.

But you didn't - you decided that it would be perfectly OK for you to install a new circuit even though you don't have a clue how circuits work.

so is there anyone else out there who can just help and not take satisfaction in me getting it wrong. thanks
There are lots.

They are called electricians.

Get one.

Wotan has it right; you need a mini consumer unit in your shed. Two MCBs will suffice - 16 amp for the socket and 6 amp for the light - though it doesn't hurt to have spares for later use. :idea: :idea: :idea: Use 2.5mm cable for the socket and 1mm for the light. There's some useful info on lighting circuits here:

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:single_way_lighting

You probably want the one for adding a single light to an existing circuit. Run the cable from the CU through the switch to the light. Note that you do NOT connect the neutral wire to ANY switch terminal. That's how my father blew the main fuse. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back