Electric feed to shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have demolished my old garden shed and replaced it with a new one.

The old shed had an electric feed from the house. The cable is fed underground in a sleeve for protection and is plugged into one of the undercupboard wall sockets in the utility.

The whole house is protected by rcb's.

My question is how should i terminate the feed in the new shed. should i provide another rcb, a fused spur or purely a junction box.

The shed feed will be for;-

Electric light
Socket for mower etc
Feeder cable for pond pump (switched)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In my opinion, if you intend to do anything properlike, then this should be installed by an electrician. Thus I'd keep it as it is - a permanently plugged in extention lead.

Never really thought about it as a plugged in extension. Thats basically what was there before. I was just thinking it should be something better.

For what you're going to use it for, it doesn't sound like it's worth the bother to be honest although i suppose you could replace the current 13A plug with an RCD one

Sponsored Links
I have demolished my old garden shed and replaced it with a new one.

The old shed had an electric feed from the house. The cable is fed underground in a sleeve for protection and is plugged into one of the undercupboard wall sockets in the utility.

The whole house is protected by rcb's.
Unless you fit a 10ma RCD then no point in fitting a second
My question is how should i terminate the feed in the new shed. should i provide another rcb, a fused spur or purely a junction box.

The shed feed will be for;-

Electric light
Socket for mower etc
Feeder cable for pond pump (switched)

Thanks
I would feed into three socket boxes connected with tube nuts one with socket and two with switched fused spurs one for light other for pond.

Really speaking the cable should be SWA but once you start to up-grade rather than like for like I am uncertain how the Part P rules work?
Note:- If permanent fixed it can still come under Part P even if plugged in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back