Consumer unit not 17th edition edition

1 So such thing as a 17th Edition consumer unit. My fuse box is far earlier than yours and still compiled until amendment 3.
2 So what if it is, that is permissible. OK maybe also needs 30 mA as well but nothing wrong with that.
3 That is nothing to do with you. That is down to DNO.
4 Having just shown last 3 were wrong I would not worry. Above stairs then there are special requirements so it will not fall on firemen in a fire but not below.
5 Only required if fitted after 2008
6 Only required if fitted after 2008
7 It would have taken less time to replace and write it down. Missing does not auto make it dangerous.
8 I do wonder what a 1x25mm twin is? I would guess point missing so should say 1 x 2.5 mm² which is permitted.
9 At last some thing which may be coded.
10 The water boards address is found in the telephone directory.
11 So what's the problem?
12 So what is the problem?
13 To say what?
14 Not really something to cause a code. Most people would carry the stickers and just put one on.
15 Pendants are not fixed that's why they are called pendants they are free to swing.
16 Seems rather odd, I would think he does not know the difference between pendent and ceiling rose.
17 As said they should not be fixed.
18 OK something worth reporting.
19 What's the problem.
20 OK until 30 mA RCD's are fitted this could be a problem.
21 OK again needs investigating.
22 I would hope he did earth continuity of all sockets not just nearest.
23 So what?
24 How big allowed IP4
25 So what there is nothing to say you need a fan isolator it is under the wattage which requires them.
26 OK needs addressing.
27 How does he know? Often when trying to release screws one needs over the torque required to tighten them.
28 In other words he could not do his job.

There are so many faults with the report it may as well go straight into the bin. There should be two parts, one shows all items which required codes, the other any items which your attention needs drawing to but don't warrant a code. Should not combine them together. There are some valid points and these should be corrected before getting another proper one done.

The main point is the consumer unit needs 30 mA RCD's fitting before you rent out. Even if not technically required in view of the court cases where people have been injured you really need to fit them. If you have a new consumer unit most the points raised will be cured at the same time.

It has been made clear that not having a loft hatch is no longer a reason for non inspection in the loft. Be it make a loft hatch or remove tiles one has to inspect. I am glad I no longer am involved. However cutting away plaster to release a ceiling rose is rather minor compared with loft hatch he should have done it if he considered he needed access.

Sponsored Links
In fairness you are now supposed to comment on its condition for an EICR.
So I believe.

If it were me, I would comment it is the DNO's responsibility & the customer should not interfere.

Sponsored Links
There should be two parts, one shows all items which required codes, the other any items which your attention needs drawing to but don't warrant a code.
Not true. If it doesn't warrant a code then it cannot be included in the Report!

"water board"

might mean Bond

He says "Gas not Bonded" in the line above.

If it wasn't required then surely there wouldn't have been an Observation made about it!
I presume you are being ironic but would anyone actually test to find out when doing an EICR?
If none visible then wouldn't FI be appropriate?

There may be no exposed-cps in the OP's bathroom.

I'd agree with others the report is poor. Unless the cooker socket is likely to supply outdoor equipment there's no code 2 needed for lack of RCD's in my opinion although getting this one socket covered by (30ma) RCD (or perhaps the plate replaced with a non-socket one if plenty other sockets in the kitchen) would be a good idea. The Main Switch appears to be a time-delayed 100ma RCD which is exactly what you DO want for a TT installation.

Was this electrician a member of an approved scam, sorry 'scheme'... (NICEIC, Napit etc) if so, please let us know which one? An hour isn't long enough to do a proper inspection & test. The rest of the EICR would be interesting to see.

FI / Further Investigation required is not something that should ever need to be used on an EICR in a domestic premises.
For the items listed as FI, they should have been noted in the limitations section as being inaccessible and therefore were not tested/inspected.

Most of the C2 codes should be C3, or no code at all.

IThere is also an earth rod on the outside of the wall behind the consumer unit. See picture, what is it? and what is it there for?
Probably the main earth connection. The location of it and the inspection & test result should be specified on the report.

The earth wire is attached to the consumer unit, so should I still do the gas / water bonding?
Yes, it is required.

FI / Further Investigation required is not something that should ever need to be used on an EICR in a domestic premises.
For the items listed as FI, they should have been noted in the limitations section as being inaccessible and therefore were not tested/inspected.
Fair enough.

Do you consider under the tiled bath, above the ceiling and behind the shower as being accessible?

If so, an EICR, therefore, requires detailed inspection and measurements of the relevant parts in the location, and -

"No Supplementary Bonding" is a meaningless comment.

I don't agree. It would be unusual though.

I have used it for suppliers' equipment before (i.e. the DNO would need to investigate).

Not true. If it doesn't warrant a code then it cannot be included in the Report!
This was really my point, one can bundled with the EICR a letter giving recommendations, but it should be separate to the report. One can tell the client that the best cause of action would be a new consumer unit, however this should not be part of the main report, the EICR would only state something like no 30 mA RCD protection to ring final it would not even state that this could be part of a consumer units job.

As to if that consumer unit could be adapted to take two 30 mA RCD's instead of a 100 mA S type and an isolator is some thing for the electrician doing the job of rectifying to decide so can be included in a bundled letter but not in the main report.

Obsolete parts can be obtained however price is often very high and main source is the internet which means time for them to arrive.

As to EICR in one hour, I don't think so, at least not and record all the readings and remove and refit sockets etc. It is like an MOT, even if the car fails all items which would cause it to fail must be recorded, unless something like engine will not start. It is no good getting an EICR done correct all points raised then get a second one done only for it to find faults not raised in the first report.

When doing EICR myself the volt drop worried me. If I did not record excessive volt drop and some one in a latter report did would I be libel for missing it? I therefore started to work it out, but realised the error of a loop impedance tester was such I had no real worries however until this was shown it did worry me that I should miss something which if found at the time could be charged to some one where if found latter it could not. But coding every item as code 2 when really it should not have a code is not the answer.

I've been to the property and had a look at the gas and water bonding. I lifted
up a few floor boards in the kitchen and under stairs cupboards and found the
gas and water earth bonding. The gas bonding runs under the floorboards to the
outside gas meter and the inlet water pipe is bonded. I have attached pictures
of what I found for both gas and water.
Mentioned it to the electrician, but they won't change the report.

Please see pictures of the consumer unit with the lid removed.
I notice that the left side contains a 30mA circuit breaker. Does this mean all the RCDs are effectively covered by this?
On the right side is a Time delayed RCD 100mA Trip.

Attachments

• 20160506_222723_resized_1.jpg
    20160506_222723_resized_1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 20160506_222600_resized_1.jpg
    20160506_222600_resized_1.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 20160506_210703_resized_1.jpg
    20160506_210703_resized_1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 20160506_222611_resized_1.jpg
    20160506_222611_resized_1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 20160506_222628_resized_1.jpg
    20160506_222628_resized_1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 20160506_210857_resized_1.jpg
    20160506_210857_resized_1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 179

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back