Upgrading consumer unit to 17th edition... is it possible ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, about 5/6 years ago I had a new split load consumer unit fitted by a friend ( ex electrician) I now want to upgrade my electrics to 17th edition.
I have been told that I could just get BCBO's fitted to my existing consumer unit, is this possible ?
The wiring is about 10 years old and the consumer unit doesn't have a certificate ... if that makes sense :confused:

If I need a new consumer unit would I need to alter/replace the wiring as well.

I intend to rent this property out.

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
you can do it the way you suggested with RCBO's although it will prob be cheaper for you to install a dual RCD board. The wiring should be ok, but seeing as it was never tested it is hard to guess. Best to get a periodic inspection report done and take it from there.

Thanks for the quick reply John.

I've got to get a periodic inspection done anyway, and I think the shower cable is only 6mm so this will need to be changed as well, so I suppose I'll have phone around and get them done at the same time.

Just thought it was something I could do myself, i.e. just swap over the mcb's to RCBO's

:)

What do you currently have installed?
If the board is only a few years old, it may already have an RCD fitted.
This may affect the amount of work you need doing.

There isn't really any obligation to upgrade what is already there (assuming it was done correctly when installed) but for a rental property, i personally like to advise the installation of RCBO's. More to do with reducing the possibility of a 10pm phone call from the tenants saying half the house has no power.

Sponsored Links
The supply and installation of a few RCBO's on the non-protected side is unlikely to cost more than the supply and install of a new dual RCD CU and will result in a better setup as there will be less inconvenience in the event of a fault.

Depending on the cable route and the rating of the existing shower there may not be any requirement to upgrade the cable.

and the means to certify the install and inform the LA. this still potentially leaves all the sockets and prob the shower and maybe even cooker on one rcd.

mikhailfaradayski; It is a 'Wylex' consumer unit with a RCD fitted, and yes, I don't fancy that 10pm phone call :confused:

Steve; The original shower has been removed but I haven't yet bought a new one, so don't know what power it will be but I expect it'll be 9.5 kw and be sited about 10 metres away from the consumer unit, will 6mm cable suffice ?

skenk; The only thing not connected to the RCD side are the lighting circuits, only found out today the cost of RCBO's , :eek: spat me coffee all over me monitor.

Taylortwocities; Only have a multimeter which has not been calibrated, but I guess what you're saying is DON'T TOUCH IT .

1john; I wouldn't think about installing a new consumer unit myself, my original plan was to get a new one installed but then thought I might be able to upgrade the original installation .

Just to fill you in a little more about the property, it's empty, all the wiring is exposed (all the plaster and ceilings have been removed) and everything that is currently connected to the wiring is going to be replaced.

So it's an ideal time to do any upgrading.

I guess I'll get someone around to do a periodic inspection and give me a quote on upgrading/ remedial work at the same time.

:idea:

I guess I'll get someone around to do a periodic inspection and give me a quote on upgrading/ remedial work at the same time.

:idea:

Perfect plan, get a good few quotes and compare prices, get a feel for the people quoting, cheapest isn't always best, if ever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back