New consumer unit on old wiring

L

llewop

Have been asked to fit a new consumer unit to a house about 40 years old, with old stranded VIR cable. I have told the owner he needs rewired but he says he just wants to update the consumer unit. He also intends to build an extention later this year which will have to comply to 17th edition.
Do you think I should fit the consumer unit to old wiring or tell him I cannot do it unless he rewires. :?: :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
Walk away.

How do you expect to supply a certificate saying you have left the installation in a safe condition?

explain to him why you cant do it, if he refuses to have a rewire, walk away

Thanks,
That's what I thought, but its good to hear it from others. I like to share niggly wee situations on this site thanks for taking time to reply.

Sponsored Links
....and then mysteriously vanish before issuing the certification....... :rolleyes:

Probably.

Unless the guy is sensible, and doesn't employ anybody who doesn't have one of these:

well no doubt I will be shot down in flames, but im bored at work and it seems a logical question.
Why does the premises have to be rewired? as long as the cables are still functional and have not deteriated over the years and pass all the eletrical tests that should be carried out before hand then why does he need a rewire?
To me it is the same opinion as red and black wire which could of been installed for numerous years and is past its expected life cycle (well not really but thought id say it anyways for fun and comments)
As long as he understands that tests need to be carried out before hand and that if any fail you can not proceed unless the fault is found and rectified at a cost, then what is the problem? you get the work, you pass it safe, write in the observations and recomendations that a rewire now or in the very near future is required due to the VIR cable.
is then not all satisfactory?
over to you :LOL:

PIR the site and see.

Then offer to discount the rewire job by the price of the PIR. A PIR takes the guessing games out of the equation and gives you the comfort of fact over fiction.

Genuinely surprised that you didn't suggest that to your client in the 1st place :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back