New Consumer Unit ?

a consumer unit has a main double pole isolator and then an arrangement to permit multiple lower current circuits to be safely connected to the incoming supply. I'm not sure if a single breaker enclosure is similar enough- there's no provision for multiple lower current circuits and no distribution going on.
The definition of CU states "one or more fuses, MCBs etc".
So would that make a switched FCU a "similar switchgear assembly" then?

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by
an 8 way single RCD Consumer Unit with a plastic casing.
?
Is the RCD the main switch or is it a split load board (i.e. there is a main switch and the RCD only controls things such as sockets)?

I would include everything you'd normally refer to as switchgear under amd3. Certainly any form of consumer unit, definitely switch fuses, and I suppose, if you were going to fit one, not the supplier/DNO a 2P/4P isolator.

There's plenty of metal switch fuses about, and I think Wylex even make a metal REC2S now if I'm not mistaken

Sponsored Links
Can't find any, but that does not mean they are not around.

Incidentally, RS have a good price on the plastic REC2S, £11 instead of nigh-on £30.00

Can't find any, but that does not mean they are not around.

Incidentally, RS have a good price on the plastic REC2S, £11 instead of nigh-on £30.00

Yes, that is the cheapest price I have seen, the average price is around twenty-five to thirty pounds at the so-called rip-off merchants.

So what about one these:

WY108.JPG
CGMSF100.JPG

Are they "similar switchgear assemblies"?

I would class a switchfuse "similar switchgear assemblies" yes.

Whether the IET do is another matter, but I would have thought so

Part 2 in the BYB - although I did change my mind as it starts with "a particular type of distribution board".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back