Moving a consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move a consumer unit onto the opposite side of a wall where it is currently situated. The circuit wiring will all be cut shorter so no extensions to the circuits will need to be added. The consumer unit is a plastic one in good condition. The lighting circuit is earthed but not to the switch's. All circuits are rcd protected.

Can I move the existing unit or does it need to be a new metal one?

Can the consumer unit be moved without upgrading the earth to all the switch's?

Sponsored Links
Are the switches metal or plastic, and what are the back boxes. Technically, as you're moving the consumer unit, it should be upgraded to a metal one.

The main problem here is probably 'How are you going to extend the supply cable to feed the consumer unit?'

Chances are there are tails from the meter or supply cut-out, which feed the consumer unit.

In most cases these tails should only be 3 metres long. Longer may require a switch fuse unit near the meter/cut-out end.

Pictures would be useful here, this isn't really a typical DIY job.

Thanks for the replies. The switch's are plastic back box's are metal. The tails will be cut shorter because it will be closer to the main fuse. I literally want to move it 4 inch's

Sponsored Links
If you retain the plastic light switches and add a warning notice at the CU noting the lack of an earth at switches.
If i was relocating the CU i would replace it with metal, you are re terminating all the circuits which is the biggest part of the job why not replace now? You may be able to buy a replacement enclosure for the existing? If you have a rcd main switch, i would defiantly upgrade.

Regards,

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back