Is it worth me doing a construction qualification ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I have been mainly involved in office type work or working in the warehouse, retail industry.. not having much luck so thinking of a change.

I am interested in the building industry, and looking into an NVQ in Joinery, Bricklaying,plastering type of courses at a college.
I enjoy doing the DIY round the place so thought about getting more involved.

There are reports of shortages in these skill areas.. but being 52 yo., Would there be much chance of me finding work if I had that type of qualification? I think the only people taken on are time served is that right?

I had thought self employed, however from my retail experience I am not too keen on getting too involved with customers, could handle general conversation but not giving quotes making contracts etc..
I prefer to be employed by someone, go in, do the job.. then go.

Sponsored Links
Plastering one is a waste of time. Better to get your basic CSCS operative card and go labouring on a plasterer for a while, to learn.

I can't speak for the other trades.

edit : the problem is not getting work, but getting paid for it and getting more work.

The only people who keep pushing the skills shortage myth are usually those trying to sell training courses. The next lie will be the £50K that you can easily earn every year, doing the days and hours that suit you. :rolleyes:

Possible that your age will be against you. Being a spread, etc is quite physical work often in difficult circumstances. By the time that you have trained, and got up to a speed and quality that employers are looking for, you will be in your mid 50s or older. I think that alone will be a big hurdle in finding work with contractors, etc.

Most of the guys I know who are involved in the building trade say something like it doesn't get any easier as you get older. These are mostly people who have been in the business since they were young, and are used to it.
I will say that I've never been involved in the building trade as an employee, but have (long ago) done a couple of full renovations as S/E with a mate of mine who is a time served mason.
It was hard graft, and I was in my 30s then.
I'd also wonder about the value to employers of the qualifications gained from these short courses. They tend to want experience.

Sponsored Links
I don't think age is any bar to finding work on sites, I know 70 year old spreads making decent money. There are loads of 50+ tradesmen. As I said above, the challenge for a newbie is to leave the work at a good enough standard to get more work, and get paid for what you do. And you have to do enough not just to make a weeks wages,but to keep with the builder's programme.

For example, if the builder wants a three bed house knocked out in four days so he can get the kitchen in etc, he won't wait seven days for you no matter how good you leave it.

My advice is to get in with a gang of plasterers if you can. Not easy learning a trade at that age, but you'll have the advantage of maturity and not having the hump when you are corrected on technique etc!

You will not be able to go for a course to making a living.

I'm unemployed and havent met anyone both skilled up and with me on the dole que so guessed its because theyre in work.

Do agencies and other sources of work ignore people with trade skills not gained in apprenticeships?
I'd hate to do the training only to end up at square 1 on the dole. :(

I'm unemployed and havent met anyone both skilled up and with me on the dole que so guessed its because theyre in work.

Do agencies and other sources of work ignore people with trade skills not gained in apprenticeships?
I'd hate to do the training only to end up at square 1 on the dole. :(

Speaking only from a plastering point of view - increasingly to get on site you need a CSCS card that shows you have a trade and passed a safety test.

But that won't keep you on the site longer than a day if your work is not of the required quality or at the required speed.

For domestic work, the qualification doesnt matter - but teh same applies in terms of getting paid for what you do.

For me, and I am sure there are guys here who would prove me wrong if I met them, I have never had a man come off a course who was any good. It's hours actually doing it in real conditions, coming up against problems , with guidance, that makes you decent.

So perhaps you need to combine both ie find a spread to work with and then do an on site NVQ? The onsite NVQ is a complete sham, just a paperwork exercise, but it gives you the ticket.

Any advice from other trades?

Get a job as a steel fixer on the bigger sites. Within a good team you'll have guidance and easier than plastering. I know guys in their sixties still fixing and fitter than many 40 year olds.
And a good team leader will make life easy for you whilst simontaneously increasing your productivity.
You don't need to go back to school. That's nonsense imo.
You already have decades of life schooling.

Decks, columns and lift shaft work etc.
Though you won't have a roof over your head and the steel might stick to your hands on an odd cold morning.
But you'll be working against the clock for the big pours to commence which is a big incentive.
And the beauty of concrete is that you never have to lift a plastering trowel.
Then you'll get introduced to the formwork joiners and mebbe the Peri system if your lucky.
Get yourself a telehandler licence which is easily passed.

Get a job as a steel fixer on the bigger sites. Within a good team you'll have guidance and easier than plastering. I know guys in their sixties still fixing and fitter than many 40 year olds.
And a good team leader will make life easy for you whilst simontaneously increasing your productivity.
You don't need to go back to school. That's nonsense imo.
You already have decades of life schooling.

Decks, columns and lift shaft work etc.
Though you won't have a roof over your head and the steel might stick to your hands on an odd cold morning.
But you'll be working against the clock for the big pours to commence which is a big incentive.
And the beauty of concrete is that you never have to lift a plastering trowel.
Then you'll get introduced to the formwork joiners and mebbe the Peri system if your lucky.
Get yourself a telehandler licence which is easily passed.

Good shout on the telehandler.

Sponsored Links
Back