Is it wrong to have reclaimed materials in 1970s house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a house which was built in 1970's or around that time, so its a fairly new build. I wouldn't have normally chosen a new house, but the area was perfect and I fell inlove with the house.

Before, I lived in a georgian farmhouse, which is the kind of house I really love.

So i like my house to have some character... ie reclaimed building materials (floors/ fireplaces/paving)

Is it wrong to put things like this, such as a parquet floor, in my newish house??

Sponsored Links
Same as if they don't like your kitchen units and bathroom layout.

If someone likes the house and area, then they will buy it and do what changes they want to make it 'their' home

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo somnerd13

i think you are worried about changing the carricter of the property and devaluing it!!!

in a gorgean or victorian house you have lots of features that give the house carricter that people like

nooowww in a 60s or 70s house there are no real features that will be lost with your personal taste only usualy improvements with the exception of those horrible full length fire surrounds or chimnie breasts that are 6 times the size they need be will "age the house" and put people off :D ;)

adding features from older houses can only improve the house if done tastfuly of course ;)

adding features from older houses can only improve the house if done tastfuly of course ;)

Hmmmm, not necessarily, I live in a 70's built house, all the bathrooms / kitchen / doors / windows, flooring, staircase heating system plus god knows else have been replaced, however putting period features in this kind of house would look absurd. Some examples :-

Parquet floor looks nice IMHO in some houses, in ours it dates it to the 70's. Now has maple wood engineered floors, which no double will go out of fashion if they haven't alerady.

Coloured bathroom suites do not look good anywhere. Nor do mock victorian suites in modern houses.

The staircase, was one of those ones with planks running parallel to the rise of the treads (looks awful, spindles look much better) but anything overly ornate would look out of place.

The doors were those horrible office like dark brown with prominent grain running through them, complete with aluminium door furniture absolutely hideous, but apparently the height of fashion in kitchens at the moment (Grand designs this week - Yuk!!!) Now has simple wooden ones

Windows, PVCu windows looks terrible in period houses, some will argue that they don't look any better on modern houses, however, the fact that our house has plastic everything outside, doesn't detract one iota from it's looks (it was ugly then, it's ugly now)

Kitchens, OMG what is going on with kitchens at the moment, design guys listen up, they look awful! Why on earth would I want an extractor that looks like a chandalier, it doesn't add a touch of class, it's chavy, bling, and tasteless.

Fireplaces, victorian fireplaces look great in period houses, they look sh**te in modern houses, clean and simple is the key.

Anyhow, that's my advice, taste though as they say is totally subjective.

But when it comes to selling?
you would be amazed @ what some people have done round here :LOL: 70`s on outside Victorian inside :eek: 60`s chalet outside, 1800`s farmhouse inside :eek: :LOL: :LOL: Not to my taste, but they sold ok. Parquet flooring Must be herringbone Stairs Must have spindles...that`s it from me ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back