Is kitchen door necessary?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen flats with kitchen lounge in one room, and sometimes a kitchen leads off directly from a lounge into a separate kitchen area with no door. I have a flat with a long corridor, leading off the corridor is doors to bathroom kitchen and lounge. Does the kitchen need a door in this instance?

Sponsored Links
It all depends on what provisions for fire prevention, spread and warning have been made within the flat as a whole, and the age of construction

It's not a simple yes or no

It all depends on what provisions for fire prevention, spread and warning have been made within the flat as a whole, and the age of construction

It's not a simple yes or no

Dizz didn't ask about heat or smoke detectors just whether a door was necessary.

Sponsored Links
The layout is not clear and as such a simple no answer is just a guess nosey.
I agree.

Necessary to prevent fire spread, or so he does not hear the washing machine spinning?
Exactly.

The answer is still you don't need a door, provided.....?

The o.p. may be fully suited and booted regards S.D.'s and H.D.'s for all we know.

I love it when you guys flex your technical know-how muscle. Makes me shudder. :LOL:

Ok, here's the layout.

I am also thinking about totally removing the studwork between the kitchen and hall, having an open plan-ish kitchen as you enter the flat, in which case, we'd enter the flat with a fire-rated self-closing door. Bathroom would have standard door. You'd then see the kitchen as an open-plan kitchen and walk straight along the corridor into the lounge with no door. Continuing from the lounge and you'd enter the bedroom via a fire rated door.

Any further comments appreciated.

If i were designing it i would be more inclined to have a corridor all the way from the front door to the bedroom and open up the lounge to the kitchen i.e. kitchen-lounge-diner.

This means you have privacy from your bedroom through to the bathroom without bothering anyone in the kitchen-lounge-diner.

You'll be fine to remove the door providing you are on the ground floor and the windows from the bedroom and living room are fire escape windows that lead to an area that you can get clear of the building. (i.e. not an enclosed yard) Otherwise you need to keep it.

A fire escape window has openings at least 450mm wide and 450mm high and the sill must be not more than 1100mm above floor level. (those are clear openings - i.e. the clear width measured when the window is open)

You'll be fine to remove the door providing you are on the ground floor and the windows from the bedroom and living room are fire escape windows that lead to an area that you can get clear of the building. (i.e. not an enclosed yard) Otherwise you need to keep it.

If it was the first floor, and there was a means to escape from the lounge and bedroom (via lounge) directly to the ground floor without passing the kitchen would that also be acceptable?

Yes, that would be fine. As long as you have alternative means of escape which does not take you past the exposed kitchen you are fine.

Ok, here's the layout.

I am also thinking about totally removing the studwork between the kitchen and hall, having an open plan-ish kitchen as you enter the flat, in which case, we'd enter the flat with a fire-rated self-closing door. Bathroom would have standard door. You'd then see the kitchen as an open-plan kitchen and walk straight along the corridor into the lounge with no door. Continuing from the lounge and you'd enter the bedroom via a fire rated door.

Any further comments appreciated.

you need two doors between a kitchen and Toilet/Bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back