Is my electrician taking the mick 2 months & still nothi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got a electricticain to install 5 new storage heaters to replace the ones that don't work back in january Still not in said he had to fit a new rcd board to comply with uk standards since then the below has happend but still no sign that any work has been done anywhere! would I notice anything with what he's told me he has done which is not a lot for 2 months ?

• 19th Jan cancelled re arranged 25th Jan
• 25th Jan did not show I had to chase and then rearranged to 2nd Feb.
• 1st Feb. rearranged to the 9th Feb.
• 9th Feb. had to rearrange to the 16th Feb. but will have a team to move fast and get the job done
• 16th Feb. rearranged to 17th Feb. but has upgraded the heaters
• 17th Feb. tuned up said measured up, done prep work testing and small circuit adjustments to start installation on 23rd Feb.
• 22nd made adjustments to lighting circuit inside panel
• 23rd did not show but went to get equipment for lighting circuit
• 24th found a smouldered wire done a temp repair on other cables that are worn and said will do a partial re wire
• 28th stared on the internal upgrade of lighting circuit
• 1st march done test on lighting circuit and need to upgrade loop completion date put back a week said found another 2 cables that where smouldered but making good progress
• 2nd march will take out lighting circuit and re do as all out of line install new mains board then fit heaters
• 8th march still ok to finish end of the week
• 9th march now needs to re wire downstairs lights as connections all inter linked.

Sponsored Links
If he was just replacing the storage heaters only then you have been misled I am afraid. There is no requirement for the cable circuits supplying the heaters to be retrospectively upgraded to current regulations.
This would only apply if he was making alterations to the heater point wiring and only if the cables were to be buried behind plaster.
I suppose it is good that he has found 'smouldering lighting cables' but given his take on the original work then he might be pulling a flanker...

In any case a night storage board is usually seperate to the normal board.

I cannot comment on the work done to lighting circuits as it may well have been required for safety - but if I were you I would have said forget it after all the postponements and 'no-shows'.

Is it a big national company? I can't imagine a small business acting like this.

He is a small business, and after all this time I would off got rid but i've already paid £1,000 so far, as for the lighting circuit yes great if he has found the wires as he claims, however I can not see any evidence of new wires or that he has disrupted anything ie light fittings, or in the attic but not knowing what he is talking about don't know weather i would? and don't want too wade in with both feet if he is telling the truth.

Sponsored Links
He is a small business, and after all this time I would off got rid but i've already paid £1,000 so far,
what for?

do you have the word "MUG" tattooed on your forehead?

(sorry)

That list of stuff done so far isn't anything to do with storage heaters.

Why all of this testing/repairs to the lighting circuit?

Did you examine the burnt cables? Take a look at the new ones? Ask him to explain the problems? You don't need expertise here for the most basic checks, just common sense and a working pair of eyes. If in doubt get a second opinion.

There's no way of knowing from the limited info you provide if he's doing essential work for your safety or ripping you off. As others have noted though, he didn't need to change for RCDs on a like for like swap, and you should have sacked him before he ever got started after all those cancellations.

are they to be fitted on the 6th floor :D

get the police in and ask for your money back

thanks all, He is ment to be round tomorrow with the heaters so I will take them "what I paid for" as Ican wire them into the excisting sockets myself. and get rid :LOL: now I know i dont need anything doing to the board..

will give him the oppertunity to show me these wires he has apparently replaced but searched again and can't see any sign of new. so will rub off the mug tattoo :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back