Is My Electrician telling the truth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be really grateful for any advice on the following.

I had 1st fix done a couple of months ago and was told for bathroom extractor I just needed 3 core from light fitting and isolation loop and they could fix up extractor fan to that. I've just had 2nd fix done and they now say that because the fan I bought has no timer, it can't run on 3 core from light and the only way to turn on or off is via isolation switch (which is near the ceiling).

I have looked at the diagram and wiki entries, and my question seems very like the thread Extractor Fan Wiring in that all I want to do is to have the fan turn on when light is turned on and off when light turns off.

Is this not possible with a non timed fan? or is my electrician telling me porkies to cover the fact they haven't wired the light to fan 3 core?

Please advise and I'll give further details if I can.

Cheers

Q

Sponsored Links
Yes they are telling you porkies!

Assuming the 3 core & earth comes from the light, then to the 3 pole isolation switch then to the fan it will be just fine. Using a 3c&e cable presents you with a "switched live" and a "permanent live" at the fan, all your electrician needs to do is connect the "switched live" to the fan and terminate the "permanent live" into a choc block inside the fan unit. That way you can still fit a timed fan in the future should you wish.

All the best
Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back