Is my house dangerous?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a bit worried about my house electrics. When my plumber friend fitted a new central heating/hot water on demand arrangement a while back he had to cut the main water pipe. Once cut he noticed a spark across the joint and received a shock from it. Putting a meter across the gap it showed about 80v. I went around the house disconnecting stuff from the sockets (I run a lot of PC equipment) and the figure dropped a few volts at a time.

I take it this is known as earth leakage? Is it normal or should I get someone in to test the electrics properly. The weird thing is I never known a fuse blow at the fuse box?

Any advice would be gratefully received, I don't want to put my wife or myself in any danger.

Thanks,

Glen

Sponsored Links
something doesn't sound right, best get it checked by an electrcian

Could be a potential killer. Get it sorted as soon as possible. :!:

Thanks for the input, I suspected as much. So what should this cost and what would be involved?

Sponsored Links
The electrician should at least check the adequacy of all your earthing arrangements which may find the problem straight away costing you less than a full test.

As for cost, it depends on lots of things like where you live, how big your house is etc....I would recommend that you obtain a 'Periodic Inspection Report' and ensure you tell him about your problem before he starts. A periodic will probably cost between £120 and £240 and you should be issued with a certificate.

Thanks Spark, I live in Essex. I'll ask around for some recommendations.

PC's are noted for earth leakage, or so my wife tells me ( she is a IT Tech at a college ) A high voltage appearing between the two cut ends of the pipe would indicate a complete lack of any other earthing in the building. GET IT FIXED. Dont mess about electricity WIL kill given the chance.

Thanks for all the replies. I take it the 'Fix' for this is probably to get a proper earth (rod or whatever) installed. What causes the earth leakage?

I run about 6 PC's, quite a bit of AV kit, and other bits and pieces.

Just in case I put it across wrongly, the main was reconnected after being re-routed (sorry if I'm stating the obvious, I'm an IT Engineer not a Plumber/Electrician).

Would the house have to be rewired if a new earthing solution was required. I see the cloud of big payout approaching :rolleyes:

Earth leakage is caused by C**p far eastern power supplies.
Or sometimes C**p european ones.
What is the earthing supposed to be at your home? Have you Overhead mains for example ( will need earth rod ). PME systems are identified clearly at the consumer unit ( all the neutrals and earths are connected there { I think ????}) and underground mains the earth is usually the armour sheath of the cable.
Either way the main earth should NOT be via the rising main only :eek:

The mains supply is via overhead cable. House is circa 1960's with what I believe to be the original fuse box - push in 2 pronged fuse, one for high amperage stuff one for ring main and one for lighting.

So, if I need an earthing rod, what do you connect the cable from the rod to? ie the plumbing, a new wiring ring? House electrics baffle me!! :confused:

don't worry about it, the electrician you are going to call will sort it all for you.

you can not do it as you will need all the apropriate test equipment, call an electrcian

A good indication that you've got someone who cares about doing a good job is to ask to see their test instruments and calibration certificate. Don't go with an NICEIC company just for the name (I have always worked for an NICEIC company and some of the guys I've seen don't know which way up to hold a test instrument). An NICEIC electrician may well have his calibration certificate but then that's because he has to. If you go for an independant electrician who looks after his test kit and is concerned that they are calibrated correctly, he is likely to care about the job he does. I usually only do testing now outside work time for myself and I have no problem at all if someone asks to see my instruments and valid calibration certificate. You will pay through the nose for an NICEIC job (just ring around and see) and he's not necessarily going to be any better, it just depends on who you get.

Before I get jumped on, I'm not saying you shouldn't use an NICEIC firm, just be aware you could be paying for the label, nothing more.

Spark.. I just realized my lt7 cert. ran out a few months ago..
but the lt5 one is still valid... Phew..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back