Is My Vented System Working Properly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved to a bungalow. Its a conventional vented system, Concord WRS boiler, two 2-port motorised valves and 7 rads. Boiler stat set to 3.5 (max is 5)

When I turn on the heating which one of the two things below should happen?

A) The boiler should fire up, and stay fired up, until the room stat turns it off because the house is up to temperature.

B) The boiler should fire up, and after a while (5 to 10 mins.) cut out. It should then fire up again for a while. It will keep firing up for a while and then cutting out until the house is up to temperature.

The reason I ask, is that in my old house I had a combi, which would stay fired up all the way until the room stat was satisfied, not firing up and cutting out before temp. was reached. Which way should it be with this older system? I'm not saying there is a problem, perhaps that's how it should be. Takes a little longer to heat up than the combi system. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
years ago boilers were often oversized so it may be heating up quicker than the system can cool teh system down, as such it would be working correctly, if the boiler is more accurately sized you may have a bit of a circulation problem.

Are the radiators correctly sized for the rooms? are there TRV's on the rads in the room containing the Room stat, which are set lower than the room stat? it is not un-common for older boilers to cycle on/off whilst the house is heating up - you might like to increase the boiler stat, to say 4 or 4-1/2 as 3-1/2 is a tad low!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back