Is the for real?

Sponsored Links
It only avoids RCDs from a cable penetration point of view. RCDs are still required in certain circumstances eg general use sockets.
There are also other certain parameters where this cable can't be used eg fuse types if I remember correctly.

I thought this type of cable avoided the 50mm or rcd rule. When doesn't it?

Although I've never used it wasn't it accepted 4 or 5 years ago?

It doesn't negate the requirement for RCD protection when the requirement is because of what the cable serves, e.g. sockets, bathrooms....

Sponsored Links
As I understand it, it does, in one sense - but as ricicle pointed out, that's often not of much help, since, for example, "general use socket circuits" are now required to be protected by an RCD, regardless of what cable is supplying them.

I Although I've never used it wasn't it accepted 4 or 5 years ago?
That would presumably be prior to the appearance of BS7671:2008, and the above-mentioned requirement for sockets to be RCD protected.

Kind Regards, John.

In fact, its often used to wire listed, prestige & vulnerable buildings in their entirety - completely replacing conventional PVC covered cabling.

Hmmm not quite sure how true that statement is...

In fact, its often used to wire listed, prestige & vulnerable buildings in their entirety - completely replacing conventional PVC covered cabling.
Hmmm not quite sure how true that statement is...
I think you're probably being modest. I have a pretty good idea as to how true that statement is (particularly given the "often"), and I suspect you do too :)

Kind Regards, John.

I've worked on listed, prestige & vulnerable buildings as well as quite nice, bog standard and down right knackered buildings and never even seen it.

Maybe they were thinking about pyro and got confused :LOL:

The Ali-tube cable is very like the stuff we used for fire alarms. When I first saw the stuff I thought it was great. Take a spur and just use RCD socket rather than a RCD FCU and of course supply to fridge or freezer.

However when I came to use it only a few outlets and only sold by the role. So I want 3 meters and have to buy 50. Just not going to happen. So although I knew all about it in real terms BS 8436 Guardian, Earthshield, Flexishield, or Afumex, seemed great but just could not buy.

Now 5 meters is more like it. Ideal way of adding a spur, just need RCD socket no need for RCD FCU to protect the cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back