Is the new Spirotech MB3 the answer?

Sponsored Links
the tf1 does need a bit of room tbh. You need a bit above to pull the magnet out and a bit below to get something under the drain, or a 1/2" hose connector.
Thanks - any chance of suggesting how big these "bits" need to be? :)

A foot above and a foot below plus the height of the unit (which is what?)?

I've never even seen a TF1, and Furnox just don't seem interested. :(

From memory the TF1 is about 220 mm high!

You need about 200 mm above to remove the magnet.

You need at least 200 mm below and preferably about 300 mm or more.

Tony

Sponsored Links
From memory the TF1 is about 220 mm high!

You need about 200 mm above to remove the magnet.

You need at least 200 mm below and preferably about 300 mm or more.

Tony
Thanks for that info Tony.

I think those dimension rule out my installing a TF1 in my system then.

The return pipe to my boiler has a vertical drop-down length of only around 11" (280 mm) from the ceiling to an elbow, from which it reverts to the horizontal to pass alongside and around the boiler located in the airing cupboard.

There is no appropriate location in the pipe runs above the ceiling either, so it looks like I'll be installing either the new Spirex MB3 (which I believe could be accommodated in my rather restrictive available space) or nothing!

From the comments in here I am not yet all that convinced that it is worth the effort to install an MB3 in my system though. No-one seems to claim such a wonderful performance from them that they should be seen as "a must-have" that will keep my system clean.

In term of effectiveness, I get the impression that the Spiro only rates as third choice, even though it is well-engineered and has a 20-year warranty. Such a life is of no great value if it doesn't do a very good job of filtering the system, is it? Or am I being too negative and pessimistic perhaps?

it is not so fast

but the same water will be going round and round your system for years, I dare say it will go through the filter a hundred times a day, so I think all the particles will get trapped.

In a well cleaned system these mag filters are not necessary.

They are fitted ( at customer's cost! ) when an installer does not want to properly clean a system!

Tony

it is not so fast

but the same water will be going round and round your system for years, I dare say it will go through the filter a hundred times a day, so I think all the particles will get trapped.
Thanks John. In the 6-years+ that my system has been operating, following its upgrading, the F&E tank and pump both seem to have acted very effectively as "filters" for the circulating crud.

Yesterday I removed the F&E tank and gave it a thorough clean-out. My plan now is to keep tabs on these two "filters" over the next few months. If they remain clean I'll not bother installing a genuine filter, but if crud forms again I'll probably fit an MB3.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back