New Tank coming - possible sludge in system - what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Following on from my previous question concerning fitting a magnetic filter of some kind I have actually tried a magnet on a few of the copper pipes and it is attracted in places so I'm a bit more concerned now.

Our system is a gas boiler heating a Flowmax thermal store which is then used to provide HW and heating. The system is 20 years old and has probably only once been drained when having new radiators fitted 7/8 years back, the system has never been powerflushed.
The Flowmax is being replaced as it started to leak which started me looking into Magnaboosters / Magnacleaners and Hrdroflows etc to try and protect it.
The system is currently drained but when I place a magnet against the pipe work in the airing cupboard it 'stuck' to both CH pipes and the boiler return pipe. I've tried it on various pipes leading to/from radiators and they are OK. Also the pipes into/out of the boiler itself are ok.

What would my best course of action be, should I just get a magnetic filter fitted or should the system be powerflushed?
We aren't looking to replace the boiler at this minute but being 20 years old it maybe something that has to happen in the not to distant future. I don't really want to spend money out on something now if we might have to do it again if a new boiler was fitted in say two or three years time.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If the magnet stuck to the pipe, it will be severly blocked and a powerflush may not fix it. best advice would be to replumb the clyinder cupboard and fit a magnetic filter that can be cleaned easily and reguarlly until no sludge is evident in the filter. would recommend the Fernox one for this.

The above will still be cheaper than a powerflush.

...The system is currently drained but when I place a magnet against the pipe work in the airing cupboard it 'stuck' to both CH pipes and the boiler return pipe.
What would my best course of action be, should I just get a magnetic filter fitted or should the system be powerflushed?
A filter can help to prevent build up, it will not clean existing deposits.
The system needs a good powerflush with acid, if the components are acid proof.

The tank is being replaced under my Homecare contract. As the Flowmax design has changed slightly I think the pipe work in the cupboard will need to be replaced anyway. What are BG likely to recommend / try to sell me and what do I actually need?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The tank is being replaced under my Homecare contract. As the Flowmax design has changed slightly I think the pipe work in the cupboard will need to be replaced anyway. What are BG likely to recommend / try to sell me and what do I actually need?

Thanks.

Anyone?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back