Is there a difference between a fire escape window and a window with a large opening?

The point is, the bloody homeowner has the choice not the state. Of course listed buildings are covered by Building Regs, if you don't like the listing applied to your property you shouldn't buy it.

Sponsored Links
Ok so why does the state force the homeowner to have compliant gas or electrical work carried out, surely it's their choice too

I worded my bit about building regs wrongly... for that I apologise ... building regs doesn't cover Pvc in Listed buildings as you are not allowed to use it and you have to abide by keeping thre building ' as is ' therefore you are covered by the ' replacing ' like for like '

It is not the homeowners choice when you are replacing wooden windows with butt hinges with PVC though , as you cannot replicate the way a wooden window opens with friction stays therefore this is where the competent persons schemes come in and you are required to alter the style of the window to allow for fire escape , usually resulting in sashes at 600mm ( edge of frame to centre of mullion )because manufacturers won't fit fire egress hinges in sashes smaller than this.

Sponsored Links
I worded my bit about building regs wrongly... for that I apologise ... building regs doesn't cover Pvc in Listed buildings as you are not allowed to use it and you have to abide by keeping thre building ' as is ' therefore you are covered by the ' replacing ' like for like '

It is not the homeowners choice when you are replacing wooden windows with butt hinges with PVC though , as you cannot replicate the way a wooden window opens with friction stays therefore this is where the competent persons schemes come in and you are required to alter the style of the window to allow for fire escape , usually resulting in sashes at 600mm ( edge of frame to centre of mullion )because manufacturers won't fit fire egress hinges in sashes smaller than this.
Is it not the homeowners choice to fit pvc instead of timber?

There are specific dimensions:

Fire escape windows must provide an unobstructed opening of at least 0.33m² with aminimum dimension of 450mm in height or width. The lowest part of the windowshould also be 800-1100mm from the floor.

The minimum 450mm size means clear opening, so if you opened the sash and measured the gap between frame and sash that got to be at least as big as 450mm.

Where is this piece taken from?
We had an opening calculated at 0.38m2 which an inspector failed due to the 450mm clearance ruling not being the case on both height and width

His book of regs stated clearance must be 450mm on both width and height

Residence 9 PVC has been allowed in listed building and was designed specifically for them.
You can replicate it easily, You can get functional butt hinges on many makes of PVC now and that is a customer choice.
90 degree friction hinges are available for all sizes of side hung sash.
Other than that your correct

Where is this piece taken from?
We had an opening calculated at 0.38m2 which an inspector failed due to the 450mm clearance ruling not being the case on both height and width

His book of regs stated clearance must be 450mm on both width and height

with aminimum dimension of 450mm in height or width.

The key is the 'or'. The minimum 450mm size must be one of the dimensions, whether it be horizontal or vertical. So a window could be portrait or landscape orientation. It must also be a min of.33msquare. The area means that a window with min 450mm in one measurement will need a min of 750mm on the other.

The measurement is the clear dimension, so if the sash is in the way slightly when open that needs to be taken into consideration.

Your not far off at all Notch (y)

This is that window:
View attachment 131177

The loft one will have 3 slightly wider (650mm) windows and be the same style. I could easily climb out of that one.

Not a bad guesstimation then!

650mm will easily give you a bigger than 450mm ckear opening. As long as you achieve the 0.33m metre square.

The key is the 'or'. The minimum 450mm size must be one of the dimensions, whether it be horizontal or vertical. So a window could be portrait or landscape orientation. It must also be a min of.33msquare.

The measurement is the clear dimension, so if the sash is in the way slightly when open that needs to be taken into consideration.

Some regs say clearance must be 450mm both in width and height.
Others say 450mm on the width OR height is fine if 0.33 is also achieved

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back