Is there a maximum time with leaving sludge remover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a maximum amount of time that I can leave a sludge remover in a system?
I have bought some Sentinel sludge remover but do not intend to change my downstairs radiator until April, but I thought of adding it to the system now while we are using the heating every day.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
28 days is the recommended max time to leave it in a badly fouled system before draining. The product is a sludge remover not a sludge stopper. Why put it in the system to remove sludge and then not drain it out. The sent rep explained years ago that it picks up deposits (somehow) and holds in suspension, after 28 days starts dropping the deposits.

that makes sense to me
but the website says save to be left in system for good.

but as you suggest yes surely you would want to drain it out .

seco services said:
but the website says save to be left in system for good.
NO IT DOES NOT. FFS. :rolleyes:

[url=http://www.sentinel-solutions.net/en/heating/X400/application]Sentinel[/url] said:
There is no limit to the time for which the product can safely be left in the system.
The web site statement is there merely to reassure people that the chemical won't damage your system by being left in indefinitely, and I'm at a loss to understand why so many people misunderstand and misrepresent the intentions of the product.

[url=http://www.sentinel-solutions.net/en/heating/X400/questions]Sentinel[/url] said:
How long can I leave Sentinel X400 in the system?

Sentinel X400 needs to be circulated in the system for a minimum of two hours at operating temperature, but can be left circulating for up to 4 weeks in heavily fouled systems.

As heatingman has pointed out, it loosens sludge in preparation for the system being drained with it in suspension.

Sentinel said:
Sentinel X400 works by lifting and dispersing the sludge into the circulating water so that it can be removed by draining and then flushing the system. After cleaning the system in this way, it should be filled with fresh water and protected from further corrosion using Sentinel X100 inhibitor.
If you don't drain it again then you're just lazy, or stupid, or both.

as you said their is no time limit to how long it can be left in the system.
which is what i said.

you wanna play games i will play your game from now on.

as you said their is no time limit to how long it can be left in the system.
No, I didn't write that. That is what the manufacturer says. I explained the reason that they say this, purely for the hard of thinking.

which is what i said.
No - you said that it could be left in for good. This has two possible meanings:

1. That it is doing good for as long as you leave it in.
2. That there are no problems with leaving it in forever.

Neither of these meanings is correct, so you are wrong to say that it can be left in for good, because it misleads people who don't know the facts.

you wanna play games i will play your game from now on.
Whatever you think the game is, you're wrong, because there is no game.

The OP asked:

Is there a maximum amount of time that I can leave a sludge remover in a system?

as he has purchased Sentinel X400 the answer to the question is.

NO.

He has no intention of leaving it in forever.

Softus wrote:

The web site statement is there merely to reassure people that the chemical won't damage your system by being left in indefinitely, and I'm at a loss to understand why so many people misunderstand and misrepresent the intentions of the product.

Thats just the reassurance that the OP was seeking.

As heatingman has pointed out, it loosens sludge in preparation for the system being drained with it in suspension.

Well thats ok then, cos thats what the OP is wanting to happen.

If you don't drain it again then you're just lazy, or stupid, or both.

I agree, but i think the OP is planning on draining it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back