Is there a wrong way to do a Magna Cleanse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had a new Worcester Greenstar boiler fitted and this also included a Magna Cleanse, which was required to get the full warranty

We watched videos of the process beforehand on Youtube because we had to choose between that and full flush. The installer pushed the Magna Cleanse as the better option. However, the way the installers carried out the process differed quite significantly from any online video we had watched

They hit the radiators with a hammer, not tapping but bashing them as if you were trying to break through a wall. They didn’t do it on all the radiators only some of them. When I asked why they don’t use an SDS and the tool with the kit I was told it was because it damages the enamel on the radiator. From what I’ve seen in videos this is only when they do it wrong or on extremely old rads (ours aren’t)

I raised concerns during the process about how their methods differed but their reaction was like I was crazy and they were doing it the correct way

They also only cold flushed the downstairs radiators and said they didn’t have to do the upstairs ones because they are on the same loop. If this is a thing, should the same loop upstairs radiator have been on or off when they did this as some seem to have been left on and some off? They hooked up a hose directly to the ends of the downstairs radiators and ran it outside rather than connecting up to the filter connections near the (freshly installed boiler).

Does what I described above seem reasonable? We are paying for this and it was specifically described as ‘magna cleanse the system and existing radiators’ on the invoice

This is just one of many issues we had with the installation, so we aren’t generally very confident they did anything correctly. But if someone says it doesn’t matter and that is good enough, then we won’t press this point with them

Sponsored Links
WB come with a long warranty, so if anything goes wrong you'll be covered.
If they then claim that it's your fault for not having a chemical flush done, then you'll have a fight in your hand.
Send an email to the installer highlighting your concerns so if at later date you have to make a warranty claim, you'll have something in your favour.
When I had my WB installed last year, they did a chemical flush, although radiators were all new and had been already flushed and run for a month on the old boiler.

i take it your rads all heat up as they should with no cold spots

i take it your rads all heat up as they should with no cold spots
Rads heat up fine, but worked fine before with the old boiler. Im just worried they may have done it wrong not cleaned the rads properly and possibly left too much of the wrong chemical in the system. We challenged them about it at least 4 times whilst they were doing it because it didnt match what we had seen in the videos. All brushed off with comments about this is the way they do it, which is why I asked does it really matter than much if it isnt done to the book.

Boiler is noisy and getting louder the longer we have had it (only 2 weeks). That is a different issue though. We have a massive list of issues still trying to resolve with them this is only a minor one which I was unsure about.

Sponsored Links
WB come with a long warranty, so if anything goes wrong you'll be covered.
If they then claim that it's your fault for not having a chemical flush done, then you'll have a fight in your hand.
Send an email to the installer highlighting your concerns so if at later date you have to make a warranty claim, you'll have something in your favour.
When I had my WB installed last year, they did a chemical flush, although radiators were all new and had been already flushed and run for a month on the old boiler.
Thanks for the suggestion. This post was basically to help decide whether to mention this at all or not in our long list of issues we are sending to them. Sounds like it would be a good idea to get it on paper for the warranty as we only even spoke to them verbally about it previously.

Just out of curiosity, what is your job?

There are many different ways to clean a system. A magnacleanse is a piece of magnetic equipment. It is not a procedure. You can search the internet all you like and will find many people’s versions of how to do it. But the only thing that matters to you so that your boiler warranty stands up is that the system clean passes BS7593-2018. This is the standard which must be achieved with all new boiler installs. Happy reading if you can access a copy!

Does what I described above seem reasonable? We are paying for this and it was specifically described as ‘magna cleanse the system and existing radiators’ on the invoice

There definitely seems to be a procedure laid down for the Magnacleanse in this guide from the manufacturer. If you have concerns, why not contact Adey and get their advice?

MagnaCleanse delivers a fast and effective flushing process for central heating systems

https://adey.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/m01924magnacleanseisguidea58pg1.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back