Is there an app that replicates light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im having new lights fitted throughout a house where Ive changed the floorplan. There will be a pendant light over the stairs; but at the top of the stairs theres a hallway on the left which the stairwell light wont reach, so its going to be a 'dark spot'. Its a small spot - maybe 1m x 2m, but leads to 2 doors. I dont want a downlight which will blind you as you turn left at the top of the stairs, I just want something that is more 'subdued'.

Is there an app or something that replicates a bulb so I can see what works before I buy a light? For example, maybe a 5w LED bulb will do, but I wont know til I try.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
there are stage lighting packages that allow lighting to be emulated, designed, and turned into a cue list to be programmed into a lighting desk but it's a hard slog to learn.
There might be diy home design packages that do similar.

To be honest, buy an extension lead and a bulb holder then play around. It will cost £25 to try several lights.
Or consider a sun/light tunnel.

Do a Screwfix rental- get what looks OK, stick it on the end of some flex and try it. Works OK- install it. Not so good- put it back in the box, return it, try something else. Repeat til happy :)

Yes, I saw those stage light apps.

It seemed like an obvious app to be available, almost like a torch app that emulates different bulbs and wattages. But I guess noones had the need for it.

Ill have a google and see what people have done to light small hallways.

Sponsored Links
Another pendant into which you can place any wattage lamp that you consider bright or dim enough???

Is this the "over-thinking age"?

I was going to say earlier, find a lampshade which you like, install that, and experiment with different bulbs.

Or find a flush light which you like, and ditto.

Or install a large recessed light which will not have the blinding characteristic you fear.

It seemed like an obvious app to be available, almost like a torch app that emulates different bulbs and wattages. But I guess noones had the need for it.
Not only "not much demand", but also "rather impractical". Most phones would not be capable of doing it - torch apps tend to just turn on the white LED (normally used for camera flash) and there's no control over either brightness or colour. Others that just turn the whole screen white and turn the backlight to full could vary the colour and brightness, but ...
Niether method will be bright enough to come close to replicating a typical bulb used for general illumination - they simply are not bright enough and so such an app would be largely a waste of time.

I didn't think he wanted to use a phone as a light source - I thought he wanted a modelling app....

Most people seem to have assumed that he was looking for modelling software. However, the OP could be taken to mean that he wanted to use a phone as a light source which could be 'programmed' to emulate LEDs of various powers etc.

It could.

Apologies if I failed to take it that he meant anything as ridiculous as that.

Okay, I've got it now - you're looking for an application for your mobile phone, so you can stick your phone up there, so you can see the effect of different lights before you decide what to actually buy and install.

(I was really worried there for a moment - first because I thought that you were suggesting that the wall could have an app installed which would create light, and secondly because maybe I've been wrong all along and need to take a red pill!)
Anyway - I don't know of one, sorry, though it's an intriguing idea.

"Intriguing"?

That would be as in

"Acquiring the ability to fly would be intriguing".

Anyway - I don't know of one, sorry, though it's an intriguing idea.
If that is what he is talking about, it's not conceptually all that original ....

... I know someone who is a ('ridiculously expensive'!) 'lighting consultant'. He travels with (programmable and/or switchable) 'boxes' (and associated tripods and suspension equipment!) which enable him to demonstrate to clients the effects of different lights (type, power, colour etc.) in various positions in their home. Not a phone, but a similar concept!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back