Is There Anything Like a 'Parallel' Terminal Block?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to replace a pendant with a new-style, flush light fitting. The wiring itself will not be a problem. I have a 15-amp terminal block to connect the three lives - two reds into one end and the third into the opposite end (will wrap in insulation tape afterwards).

To a non-professional like me this looks inelegant. The old loop-in ceiling rose allowed the various wires to be inserted in parallel. So my question is whether there's something like a 'parallel' terminal block which is small in size (i.e. for uses like being tucked inside the light fitting), since a junction box would be too big.

Or am I being silly about wiring 'looking' odd?

Sponsored Links
There are special junction boxes designed for where there will be no access that are smaller than the old round hard plastic type. No screws all push in connections and clamps for cables. Hagar I think make them.

I have a 15-amp terminal block to connect the three lives - two reds into one end and the third into the opposite end
What about the neutrals and earths?

(will wrap in insulation tape afterwards).
Noooooooooooooo - use a choc-box.

my question is whether there's something like a 'parallel' terminal block which is small in size (i.e. for uses like being tucked inside the light fitting), since a junction box would be too big.
Like this?

Might be too big to go into the light fitting, but will be fine above the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Useful if you see yourself needing to unplug the light frequently, but other than that no benefit over a choc-block - there's still only 1 terminal for loop, 1 for neutral etc etc...

choc blocks wrapped in insulation tape normally = bad news

Thanks guys.

I think sparkyspike might have the answer - each 'hole' of that connector takes one wire. In the pic below, there are actually two earths going into each side of the choc box - nothing wrong with it but my point was that it just seemed odd to me as a DIYer.

But I'm glad I posted - will avoid insulation tape and buy a really really really small choc box cover.

I think sparkyspike might have the answer - each 'hole' of that connector takes one wire.
So you'll need 3 x 3-ways and 1 x 2-way, which will cost how much compared to a 4-way piece of choc? Or even the Ashley J501? Yes, I know you'll end up with lots left over - will you use them?

Also, don't forget that with those Wago connectors you'll still need a box to put them in....

In the pic below, there are actually two earths going into each side of the choc box
And 2 neutrals on the LHS, and two lives on the RHS (bottom terminal).

Nothing wrong with it - take off one of your sockets and you'll see 2 conductors in each terminal, you'll find 2 conductors per terminal in 2-way light switches....

I don't fit my conductors into connector blocks from both ends, I do them all from one end then clamp the conductors with both screws, finishing off with a choc box.

You can insert from both sides and still clamp with both screws.

The choice really should be driven by which directions the cables run, or which is easier to dress?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back